Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

31 July, 2010

A New Stamp and CC Challenge #5

This is a 'tent' card that grew as I worked on it. I decided on the Shabby Chic technique in combination with a new stamp of babushka dolls and a clear stamp, 'Dare to be Different' that I've had for ages.




I used black soot DI on the tag, then clear embossed the dolls on an angle. I applied white acrylic paint in accordance with the technique, then decided to add some gold over the top since the black was very heavy. You can see the gold in the large view of the photo. I then used the "Dare to be different" clear stamp on the card, and created an extra babushka doll embossed with fine detail gold, and painted with Twinkling H2O water colours. The tag is out-lined with gold Krylon, and the ribbons for the tag are from one of my bits and pieces boxes.

I think it's got potential for some variations on the theme...more to come that are not so dark and contrasty.

Smiles,
Ros.

26 July, 2010

The First of the Poppies

I've started a series of cards using this lovely Poppies stamp from Stamp-it. Of course the Poppies have been the subject of lots of trial and error, and it's a great stamp to try many different techniques.


Poppies by Stamp-It (WA) Love their designs.

For the main feature, I used gloss card with the poppies stamped and embossed with Judikins black detail EP. I applied a mask to the poppies and the bud when colouring the background with Colorbox Chalks in yellow and shades of light to dark olive green. Used both colour dusters, and finger dabbers. I then coloured the flowers with Chalks using finger dabbers and then polished the Chalks when dry.

Mounted the poppies on white tonal print paper at roughly 30° then reversed the angle to mount again on green metallic card. Looks very stylish and I need to work out a template for doing this so that it’s quick and easy each time. This took quite a long time to get the positioning right.

Incidentally, I've found that putting the mask through the Xyron sticker maker using the repositionable adhesive is brilliant. Up to now I've been messing around with post-it notes and they don't quite match the purpose. The Xyron glue helps the mask to last for a lot of projects, and I just store the mask on the back of the stamp.

19 July, 2010

Birthday Cards for Blokes

It's easier said than done to do something a bit different for men that steps away from the more feminine designs that are common. I made this for one of my family men using Tim Holtz' new Sizzix embossing folder called Rays.

Using white gloss card, I created a semi-circle of red chalk ink. The card was then put through Sizzix-Holtz “Rays” folder. I swiped with Indian Ink pad from opposite side from the red area and then used StazOn black to intensify the rays. Trimmed the whole thing to a square and placed the ‘dice’ brads coming up into the picture.

The sentiment was cut from silver lustre card using The Slice, and embossed with Judikins 'Claret' EP. Mounted on silver lustre and red metallic card layers.



Must make a couple more of these, or rather versions of them.

Happy days,
Ros.