Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

24 December, 2010

Another Christmas Card

I had an idea for a Christmas card with a seaside theme since I live close to the beach. The idea revolved around my fairly new compressor and airbrush system that is used with Copic Markers. For those who don't know these pens, they are alcohol based ink pens with nibs at both ends, one a chunky wedge and the other a fine fibre point. They come in a range of wonderful colours and work beautifully on gloss card as well as matt. This is what I came up with.

Seagull with stylised yacht in background
I have a seagull stamp by Inkadinkadoo and after lots of experimenting, decided the best way to go was to stamp it on Ice Gold card with Memento Black Tuxedo. Memento is good to use with alcohol inks and so is the Ice Gold which makes the inks look as though they have mica in them.

To airbrush the yacht design onto the card, I found some pictures of yachts and made a stylised outline which I then cut out to make two masks. I used two masks so that the two sails would overlap as though the sun is shining through them. I used Eclipse paper from Judikins to make the masks. Working on a table outside, I sprayed Copic inks onto the card using about six colours. Each one is edged with either Krylon Red Shimmer, or blue Marvy Metallic pen.

The seagull piece is mounted on turquoise metallic card, and then on plain white card stock. Inside. the Greeting is gold embossed. I almost feel as though I have rediscovered gold embossing and the fascination of watching the letters shine as they melt and stand out on the card. There's a child in me that never tires of that magic. On the back of the card, I airbrushed a seahorse using a little brass stencil of sea creatures. I blocked off the other patterns with florist tape and placed a large 250 gsm mask over the whole stencil to make it easier and quicker to handle. It draws some attention to the "Made by" sticker.



Working note: After a few pictures are completed, the tacky side of the Eclipse paper loses its grip, so I sprayed it with re-positionable glue recommended for quilting which extended the life of the mask quite considerably.

Seasons greetings to all,
Ros.


2 comments:

Carole Meisenhelter said...

very creative Ros' the sails is most effetive and colourful background for the stamped image. Must've been fun working in the outdoors with this project.

RosC said...

I was working outside on a large table we have under cover on the terrace. It's a nice place to work, especially in this weather which is not too hot or cold. Hope you had a good Christmas.