Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

17 December, 2010

Finally, the Christmas Card

After lots of trial and error, and protesting against snow crystals and pine trees which are so out of place in this country, I settled on Maiden Hair Fern. It's delicate and green, a native fern, and very decorative.

Maiden Hair fern for Aussie Christmas cards.
I used a good clay surfaced gloss card (The Stamp Trap) with Colorbox chalk inks. The background is burnt sienna applied with a Judikins colour duster brush. I love the effect that's possible with these little 'shaving' brushes. When dry, the chalks need polishing before the next application.

I stamped the Maiden Hair fern (Amazing Creations) twice with Aquamarine and twice with Ice Jade. Once they are dry, they are again polished and came up in lovely shadowy greens. Finally, the central fern was stamped with Versamark and embossed with either copper or verdigris embossing powder.

This feature is mounted on a green metallic card matt and top-centred on white card stock.

On some cards, I created a paper ribbon with Christmas paper and added a bow made of the same paper similar to the one I made with the poppy stamp.

I'm happy with these and made about thirty over the last 3 or 4 days, but I also have a seaside theme in mind too. Working on that this afternoon. My next trick will be to actually write the cards and mail them.

Hope you're getting close to organised for the Christmas and New Year week...can't say I am!!

2 comments:

Carole Meisenhelter said...

absolutely love what you created Ros'. I'm a sucker for the maiden-hair-fern; have it growing near the garden-room steps. That's a beautiful stamp and you have techniqued it so wonderfully.

Elizabeth said...

I just love your Christmas card - maidenhair fern is my favourite fern as it is so delicate. It would even work well on a Scottish Christmas card. Elizabeth #76 on WOYWW