Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

13 February, 2011

Bread and Jam

What a busy culinary day. Made jam in the morning and bread in the afternoon. The jam is gorgeous plum jam made with the fruit from our tree. It's a bit runny - last years was cooked too long and was rather too gelatinous so this lot is under-cooked, of course. It's still lovely stuff, a good colour, and soaks into fresh bread very satisfactorily. Next year's batch will be just right.
Here a picture that tells the story.

The bread, the tin, the jam, and the dough hook.

The bread is the loaf that I often do - wholemeal with half a cup of soft seed mix through it. I put the tin and the dough hook in the picture because I reckon they are the two best inventions for making bread. The tin is a black heavy steel French one that has never been washed, only oiled and the release is perfect each time. The dough hook belongs to my Kitchen Aid mixer and it does the work perfectly to the point where I take over the kneading. Can't stand bread machines because I need to feel the dough to be sure it's right. It's one of the most blissful things I do in the household, and naturally, I'm fussy about the ingredients with Elizabeth David as my Goddess of Bread-making. Yum!

If I could put the smell of the bread in a PDF file I'd put it right here.

Happy days,
Ros.

3 comments:

Carole Meisenhelter said...

What a delight! Can smell the bread Ros' and would love your plum jam. My visitors last week from Mt. Beauty bought with them what I call blood-plums, and I stewed them up; some for now and some for the freezer.

Carola Bartz said...

I haven't made my own bread for ages, but I also loathe bread machines. I always used my Kitchen Aid mixer (same hook!) until I had to use my hands. I remember I had to put the mixer on the ground because it used to dance around with the dough inside and I didn't want it to fall off the kitchen counter! So the mixer danced around the kitchen, to the great amusement of my then toddler daughter.

RosA said...

Hi Ros, That looks sooooooo yummy! I love plum jam! And homemade bread, how nice!
Finally got hold of that Craft Stamper magazine. So many lovely things in it! Very inspiring!