Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

02 February, 2011

WOYWW No 87.

Greetings all, on this first Wednesday in Feb. I've been looking forward to another round of popping in on as many folk as I can, but mind you, not as many as I'd like.

I'm sitting to write this in front of the TV with scary red weather patterns lurching across the screen while they report on Cyclone Yasi. Really and truly, I think the Queenslanders have had enough!! My friend Jez is battening down with her elderly Mother tonight in Cairns. All the patients have been evacuated from the hospital where she works, and most of the staff are either in Brisbane or hunkering down like Jez. She's now having a glass of champagne, love her.

Well here's the desk today. There are lots of dragonflies in my garden at the moment so I've decided to use a couple of stamps to celebrate their lives dancing in the sunlight. If you'd like to see lots of interesting desks, pop over to Mrs Dunnit's Stamping Ground.


Cyclone Yasi shares the desk today.
 I've used Distress Inks with some matt card, layering yellows and blues to create some greens as well. I used chipped sapphire to stamp parts of the large 'garden' stamp on the left of the desk. In one, I spritzed until it ran a far bit, then dried it with the heat gun. The clear stamp at the bottom of the photo is a useful stylised pine branch. It makes great edges. I used Judikins EP for the additional dragonflies - Denim for one, Aegean silver for the other. 

A couple of other things: I find my Scrubber Pad really useful, and at 2 o'clock from that, there is a hospital nail brush with black, very, very fine bristles. It's brilliant for clearing stuff out of the tiny spaces in some stamps without damaging them. (It escaped from somewhere to pursue a useful career on my desk.) I love using my stamp positioning tool and the stamping buddy for keeping the EP tidy on my projects. There's an assortment of stamp pads and EPs which haven't moved for a while.

On the right is my iPad with the cyclone info showing. By the time many of you read this we'll know whether Jez and every other Queenslander is okay. We have to change how we treat Mother Earth. The flood waters are just sitting around still in north west Victoria and the stench is dreadful. And the storms in North America sound pretty horrific. We've been ripping the life out of the planet for so long, it's no wonder she's going to dish out some major responses. Our species deserves a bite in the bum!!!

I wish the women would take it over - Mother Earth needs good house-keepers. Now I'll get off my soap-box. :-)

Tread lightly,
Ros.

24 comments:

S said...

Thanks for a peek at your space. When weather threatens its a blessing that we can get up to date forecasts and news reports, but I try to keep the TV off when I'm being crafty.

Pam said...

Lovely busy desk. Hope everyone is safe during the bad weather. Hugs Pam.

Shazsilverwolf said...

Cool looking desk, love your project. I adore dragonflies- so delicate. Wishing all Queenslanders keep safe, Happy WOYWW, Shaz

Shazsilverwolf said...

I just spotted 'Pumpkin' & Dixie - how gorgeous are they! I said to another blogger earlier, I have seen so many gorgeous cats today, maybe we should have a 'puss on your workdesk' day!

Andria said...

happy woyww, thanks for sharing :)
crafty hugs - Andria (42).

Sarpreet said...

i am too a fan of distress inks, great workspace, happy woyww, thank you for sharing, #9

GLENDA BROOKS said...

Great work area....Lots of creativity going on here! Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth said...

Hope your family and friends are fine and that the cyclone runs out of fizz soon. I have an elderly aunt and some cousins in Melbourne and another aunt in Whyalla, several other cousins scattered around Australia and a nephew who is goodness knows where at this time and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they are all okay. It's better to keep busy rather than sit and worry and you are sure doing that - your dragonfly stamping is lovely and that's a great tip about the nail brush. Elizabeth x #96

Karen said...

Lovely creative desk, thanks for sharing :)
I do hope everyone will be safe in Australia during this awful weather you are all having xoxox

Wipso said...

Some lovely crafting going on on your desk today.
A x

Carole Meisenhelter said...

Hi Ros; yes dragonflies I love too; it's kind of amazing how 'things' come into fashion and dominate for a time. Could never quite work out the 'dunce caps' on characters for art though :( Seems the worst that was expected didn't quite eventuate thankfully. What has happened though is catastrophic enough and we will see the aftermath as the day progresses.

Rhonda said...

You have some great stash and supplies on your desk. Thanks for sharing your techniques and for visiting my desk. Happy WOYWW #15

okienurse said...

Your desk has a great grouping of supplies and fun things to play with. Thanks for sharing. Vickie #80

Katie_Bolinger said...

Come visit my blog and see a pic of what a blizzard can do. But I have to say I think a blizzard is better than a cyclone we just dig out but floods destroy everything you own.

Shaz in Oz. said...

Thanks for popping over and yes was very wakeful last night too but glad Cairns was spared still feeling for Cardwell, Tully and the two other small places hit (mission beach was one of them..) - fancy 90% of our bananas ruined we are going to pay through the nose for them and we are the world's biggest producer of sugar cane heaps of that was totally ruined too.
Love the dragonflies..
Shaz in oz.x

Morti said...

Hi Ros

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Fab desk this week - and I didn't realise you were on UKStampers! I'm on there as DianeR, but shhhh, don't tell everyone!

butlersabroad said...

Crazy weather this winter, but I'd take our 10" of snow over that cyclone any day of the week. Hope folks are coping ok, at least no loss of life yet, but it's still early days. Love the dragonflies on your desk, signs of summer on a cold, and white, Michigan day!!

Hugs
Brenda 91

Julia Dunnit said...

I have heard that our friends at Mission Beach are all safe, thank God..I hope the same for your friend. And more champagne. Your desk has that lined up, organised look about it..lovely colours on those sunshiney ATCs.

Mrs A. said...

Love the gorgeous yellow badckground. Never thought of spraying to get the right look.
Hope everyone is safe. I have family in Queensland too.
Hugs Mrs A. #82

Hels Sheridan said...

hey hunny... hope that nasty cyclone has buggered off now... and every one is safe!!!! I am with you on the way the planet is acting now... it is only a matter of time before major things happen because we have taken too much for granted... oooh, get me, on my soapbox now LOL Your desk is looking fab btw... the thought of dragonflies in the garden is making me yearn for summer now!! Tis windy and yukky out there tonight, I am hunkering down for a night of inkyness x

Marjo said...

Thanks for the peek and sharing, hugs Marjo lucky #1

MaggieC said...

I quite agree with your thoughts on the planet and who should be running it - one of my soapboxes too. Hope all your family and friends came through the dreadful weather unscathed. Your dragonflies are lovely - a hope for better weather and conservation.

Starla said...

OOOO!! Love Distress inks! Thanks for sharing your space! And I'm with you on the Mother Nature thoughts. We've been asking for a good kick in the rear for a long time!
Star 125

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Hi Ros,

I looked for your link this week and, when I didn't find it, came to your blog through your profile. Sorry I missed you last week. I didn't get very far because I have been so overwhelmed preparing for OWOH giveaway.

You asked what I use Kiwi Black for. I often add shoe polish to my altered art. I add it after I have laid down all the color, paint, color mists, whatever. It seems to sea the art and it gives it a wonderful luster. The more you rub it, the more it shines. The Kiwi black is transparent enough I can add it over light colors to darken them. It "distresses" or "grunges" up the page, depending on what color I use. The Kiwi black is as beautiful as the "soot" distress ink, but with the added luster and sealing qualities. I hope that helped.

I hope your weather has now improved and you were not in the path of the cyclone OR the floods.