Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

23 February, 2011

WOYWW No. 90 In a Jam ;-)

Busy week without much crafting really. On my desk this week, is the practical project of making labels for last week's jars of plum preserve. As I mentioned before, this year's plum jam is under-cooked and I've been making labels for the batch. "Runny Plum" doesn't have an epicurean ring to it, does it! So I've called it Plum Preserve!  The labels are simple really but they look quite swanky.


Left to right: acrylic block, labels on trimmer, DIs, calligraphy, punch.

I stamped the labels using a stamp that I bought from a cheap as chips kind of shop. I've just stamped rows of the labels using the long clear stamp block on the left hand side of the work area as a guide to make more-or-less straight lines. I guillotined them using the good old photograph trimmer, then inked them using DI milled lavender and aged mahogany. I rounded the corners with a Zutter half inch corner punch. Last, I went hunting for my old calligraphy fountain pen set to write the label details. I slapped them onto the jars with clear packing tape. 

If you'd like to hop over to Julia Dunnit's blog, you can join the many folk who enjoy sharing their work by showing a view of the crafting bench. And the acronym is most singular in appearance, impossible to pronounce, fun to be part of - What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday.

Happy days,
Ros.

Post Script: I've picked up a couple of things from your comments - thanks for all the messages.

Firstly, I don't why the photo wasn't clickable. Bless the vagaries of Blogger, but I hope it is now.

The second question from you was "Where's the jam?" Well, that's a fair question and here's an answer...


Plum Preserve - preserved for posterity.
Isn't this a hoot? I'm sure there are so many wonderful jam makers amongst you, but I'm very happy with the lovely comments - thanks a million.

Miles of smiles,
Ros.

20 comments:

Sue said...

Hi ya
lovely looking labels, oh bet the plum preserve is scrummy,have great day, happy WOYWW, sue,x(18)

butlersabroad said...

Plum Preserve sounds really yummy, love home made jams and things. Can we have clickable piccies next time please!! I'd love to see your labels close up!

Hugs
Brenda 103

S said...

Now's I'm hungry! I need to make up a bunch of blank labels, as I'm planning to re-organize some cabinets and cupboards. I like your easy-going approach.

Elizabeth said...

Hello Ros, your labels are perfect for the job. I haven't made jam for years, not since the children grew up. A friend's mum keeps me supplied all with homemade raspberry jam which I just love. It's full of sugar though so it is only an occasional treat and one jar lasts a very long time which is maybe just as well as it comes all the way from Ireland :) Elizabeth x #114

Mrs A. said...

Labels are looking good but where's the jam!! Plum preserve sounds delicous.
Hugs Mrs A. #76

Sam said...

Would love to try your plum preserve! Love the labels. My assorted jars of jams, marmalade, jellies on get a post it label!! Except the ones I give away which get "Poison" labels I print and cut on my silhouette!!

Sam aka Hettie #135

Jan Castle said...

Sounds yummy!!!

SDCrafts said...

Nice alliterative allure to your labels, Ros ... bet the plum preserve is positively palatable ...Shirl #106

Carola Bartz said...

I'm not really good at making jam. I used to make raspberry preserve and everybody liked that, but I don't do it anymore. I have a plum tree in my yard, and my friend picks them. She makes really good jam, and I usually get a few jars of "my" plums. Unfortuantely no one else in the family eats them. I like your labels.

RosA said...

Hi Ros, The labels give the jars a nice finishing touch. Very professional!

LuLu said...

Howdy,
Really like your WOYWW post this week. Great labels and calligraphy nibs!

Would love for you to stop by my blog when you have a moment or 2.

Peace,
LuLu
www.lulu-too-beaucoup.blogspot.com

Wipso said...

Yum yum. Runny or not it sounds fab :-)
If you haven't been yet please pop over to our blog shop, leave us a comment and be in with the chance to win a crafter's apron.

http://sisterscraftycreations.blogspot.com/

Good luck.
A x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi Ros, :)
I do love colour of your preserve, I am sure it tastes top notch and that is the real test and labels are lovely too, and good to see the calligraphy pens out there!!
Shaz in Oz.x

Mrs A. said...

Now Isn't that just the finishing touch. The preserve looks really srummy. Just off to butter some bread whilst you take the lid off! lol.
Thanks for showing. Hugs Mrs A. #76

butlersabroad said...

Wonderful Ros, and just look at that colour with the sun behind it! Bet it's brilliant on toast for breakfast.

Hugs
Brenda (103)

Gez said...

Oooh wonderful preserve. Enjoy!

Barbara Mason said...

Well Ros, my jams were always hit and miss cuz I could never bring myself to use the total amount of sugar called for!!! Your Preserve looks bright and yummy!!!

Nicky said...

Oh no this is not helping me trying to loss weight I know have a craving for toast and jam - yours looks lovely ~ thanks for sharing ~ Nicky no.4 ~ running late this week lol

okienurse said...

Plum jam! Yummy! My aunt used to make all sorts of fruit jams from fresh, dried, or canned fruits. Thanks for sharing. Sorry I am so late getting by this week but life happens. Vickie #148

MaggieC said...

Those labels are really perfect, Ros, and the honey looks really scrumptious. Thanks for popping in to see my blog and leaving such a lovely message.