Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

09 March, 2011

WOYWW No. 92

Greetings Wednesday Friends.

I'm really glad to be back again having missed last week. To tell the truth, I've missed our connection and exchange of comments but it's been a busy week, and so I've also missed my crafting time.

Today I had a great urge to have a go at shaving foam marbling, using some 'house brand' foam and Jo Sonja acrylics. I realise this technique has been around since cocky was an egg, but I haven't done it before. If you Google the technique, you'll find lots of good tutorials for marbling so I won't describe it in detail. Here's my table...

The shaving foam with green, yellow & gold paints.

You can see the baking trays with the foam, and the other one with pipettes, old packing card to act as a squeegee, and some of the results drying off at the back. I have yet to do more with various drying times - I will wait longer next time as the removal of soap made some streaks that might be avoided. Instructions vary about the time factor. It might also be improved with better quality card stock. I have to say, I really love puddling in shaving cream.

A little note about the black protective sheet which I bought at 'House' (for Aussie locals). It's a great deal at $20 for this silicon baking sheet which is 1.5 metres long! It's not good for Distress techniques because I can't see the colour on the black surface, however as a waterproof and heat tolerant covering, it's fantastic.

Came back to the desk this afternoon after going to the gym, the Hearing Screening test, the heritage seed saver nursery, and made a birthday card using the marbled paper. Here is episode two on the same Wednesday. BTW, the old lugs are still operating 'within normal limits' which is pleasing as 65 comes along next week.... on paper that is :-))


Yellow, lime green and gold seem good colours for a daisy theme.

I stamped the daisy design (I think it's a Hero Arts Clings stamp) on a piece of the fresh marbled card in black Staz-On and then embossed with Judikins Fine Detail Black. It gave a speckled look which allowed the marbling colours to show through. Mounted it on gold metallic matt, and in turn on another piece of marbled card. Embossed 'Happy Birthday' in black and applied three little paper flowers. The flowers were given to me by my Birthday Girl. They are made in Thailand by women of the Lao Disabled Women's Development Centre. There are sixteen different designs in the little hand made box. Just a delight.

Quite simple really but pleasing I think. Here's the close-up.

Jo's card. Pity the gold doesn't show well in this photo.

Well that's it for this week. If you're interested in what other folks do on Wednesdays, visit the centre of desk appreciation, Julia Dunnit and take a wander past a plethora of delightful desks.

Glad to be back,
Ros
In Oz.

21 comments:

Hands to Work, Hearts to God said...

Hi Ros, I've never tried marbling but have always planned to do it. It looks really nice on your card. Patsy from
HeARTworks

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Mm seen that marbling before and yes does look fab love the idea of the protective sheet too Ros.. love daisy card.
TFS and happy WOYWW!
Shaz in Oz.x

Karen said...

It looks like you have been having some creative fun! I love the daisy card, its gorgeous.
Have a great WOYWW,
Karen #92

Chelle said...

gorgeous card. I have never tried this technique..i think I will. although we never have shaving cream in the house (DH rarely gets facial hair). 91

Shazsilverwolf said...

This is really lovely, TFS, Shaz #118

Susan Allan said...

The birthday card is beautiful, this is a fantastic technque I need to try. I love the flowers in your design...lovely!
Sue xx 72

jude said...

Never tried marbl;ing technique but your completed card looks amazing and beautiful!
Happy wednesday
hugs judex3

Sam said...

I am glad I have not tried this technique and will definately have a Google when I have finished my current project. Have cleaned my desk so don't want to get goo on the cards!
Hugs
Hettie
P.S. Happy Birthday for next week!! MWAH!

Julia Dunnit said...

Stunning results Ros - I often end up with a muddy puddle becasue I can't properly choose the colours, what a clot! For alcohol inks and stuff, I put a piece of white paper down and cover it with cling film on a dark background.

fairy thoughts said...

i have not tried this technique either, i will though, i love using ordinary household things and getting messy. the finished cards looks great, lucky friend
janet

Mrs A. said...

Not heard or tried this technique so must go and read up about it and watch the tutorial. Glad to see your back. Hugs Mrs A.

Carola Bartz said...

The card turned out beautifully, Ros. I have heard of the marbling technique and often thought I should try it, but never got around to actually do it. Now that I see how gorgeous yours turned out, I think again I should try it. Those paper flowers are beautiful, did they come in this box? Very organised. I loved to visit here.

okienurse said...

Very nice card. I haven't tried the shaving foam but have the gel and the dryer sheets. Love the foam look. Thanks for sharing! Vickie #69

Carole Meisenhelter said...

Hi Ros; love the colours you chose; great effect with the stamp you used.

The Crafty Elf said...

I have yet to do the shaving foam thing but it looks like such fun and the finished result is fab. Your card is just beautiful. Thanks for the peek.

RosA said...

Hi Ros, The birthday card is beautiful! I've been meaning to try this technique for ages and I wonder if you could use hair mousse instead? I think I will give it a try. Your black mat thing is a great idea! I've got a House nearby, might have to check that out. Tattered Angels makes a similar sheet but it's about $50! I think. And yes, I saw the sardine tin project in Craft Stamper (new one due any day now)although a group I'm in did a sardine tin swap last year, but I wasn't inspired to join in at the time. Glad you're back at your desk!

Marjo said...

Wonderful card, awesome creativity Thanks for the peak and sharing, hugs Marjo #6.

Cauliflower Cupcake said...

That card is beautiful - what a wonderful effect!
Rebecca (42)

voodoo vixen said...

Love your daisy card and intrigued with the shaving foam... do I really need to learn yet another messy technique that the cats will try to eat? Hmmm, perhaps if these are the results!! Annette #5

Elizabeth said...

Hello Ros, I've tried shaving foam marbling using glimmer mist and loved the effects I got but never tried using acrylics, might give that a try sometime. The card you made with it is lovely, I just love those flowers. Elizabeth x #97

Nicky said...

Love your daisy card and I have never heard of the shaving cream marbleing will be off to google ~ sorry I'm running late this week on noseing round the desks lol - Nicky no.2