Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

15 June, 2011

WOYWW - 106 and I'm back

I've had a wonderful weekend. We have a mid-Winter holiday to celebrate the Queen's birthday ...in June when her birthday is in April. I have no idea of the origin of this but I suppose we could call it a little Antipodean madness. I spent my long weekend at the Melbourne Festival of Choirs. It was great fun.

The last two weeks have been very rackety with computer problems and rehearsals galore but here I am again. See my previous post.  Anyway, it's lovely to be swanning around the desks again, and if you're not sure what it's about, lob over to Julia Dunnit's blog and check it out.

Yesterday I called in to Paper Squared, my local paper craft shop and bought a great wood grain stamp from Hero Arts. I think it could be used for all kinds of compositions. Here's what I did with it this morning on scrap paper - ignore the messy pink bits that don't belong.

Wood grain becomes rough floorboards or weather boards.
On the right is a box of hand-made paper and envelopes that I bought at the same time. At the back of my working space are four bottles of liquid graphite in different colours. I bought them in a book shop that has some art materials and ther're quite new to me. Not sure what I'll do with them yet but a few swipes with a brush are very interesting.

9 comments:

Spyder said...

oho yes, I love the look of 'wood' I've even 'rubbed the shape on to paper and scanned it in, so I can use it that way. Very tidy desk! Happy WoYwW

SueH said...

Don’t think I’ve seen that stamp before and I love what you’ve done with it, so I can see why it would be so useful.

Happy Crafting!
Sue
x

triciasconfetti said...

Love your new stamp. Have just bought a big stamp myself with the idea of using it for backgrounds - not a wood effect one though , just meaningless script.
Very tidy desk though.
x Tricia (64)

Elizabeth said...

Hi Ros, welcome back. We've just had the Trooping of the Colour to celebrate the Queen's offical birthday and there does seem to be a good reason for her to have 2 birthdays. It has become the custom for any monarch who has an early/winter birthday to have the official celebration in summer when it is hoped the weather will be better. However, we are having the most miserable June. Take today for example, we've had sunshine, then hailstones, followed by an atrocious downpour! Love the wood effect stamp and your floorboard sample. Have a great week. Elizabeth x #79

RosA said...

Hi Ros, That stamp is great. I love background stamps. You can use them for all sorts of stamping. I've got a bottle of that graphite ink. Bought it from one of the cheap shops that has art supplies. I also am not sure what to do with it although I have tried it by brushing it onto heavy watercolour paper and the effect is rather pleasing.

okienurse said...

Interesting stamp! I see all sorts of possibilities using the stamp! Good luck with the graphite! Thanks for sharing. Vickie #46

butlersabroad said...

Sounds like a busy but fun time you've been having Ros. Love that background stamps and the graphite ink sounds interesting too.

Hugs
Brenda 73

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Hi there Ros flicking throguh my blogs and thought have not visited you for a while so popped over to see what is going on and find you have had computer problems mm sad and frustrating! so saying hi and hope it is sunnier your way than it is here love Shaz in Oz.x

Elizabeth said...

Hi Ros, I've noticed that you haven't been posting of late and hope this is because you are enjoying yourself too much and not because there is anything amiss. Kind regards, Elizabeth x