Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

31 August, 2011

Nice to join in WOYWW again - 117

Hello again. Good to be back WOYWW at last - I've missed this circle with Julia Dunnit at the hub. If you want to know more visit the Stamping Ground every Wednesday. I've been very busy but am well and content with life in case some wonder where the blazes I've been.

But first the desk...

Paperfic purchases and Christmas accents

As you will know from my previous post, I went to the Paperfic Show last Saturday and bought a few goodies. Stands to reason that my purchases might encourage certain activities. I bought the Creatables die-cutters which are light blue and cut out two sets using the Big Shot. These Christmas cut-outs will be lovely for decorations, for cards, and for grand-daughter activities when she comes to stay.

The set on the right are cut out of 250 gsm card which was nearly too heavy. The set on the left are embossed with Judikins Aegian Silver, a fine Gold EP, and some deep blue EP combined with aqua PearlEx powder. I sprayed it with workable fixitive and feel quite pleased with the result.

Other things of interest might be some bottles of Liquid Pearls and part of the Tim Holtz film strip die-cut all of which came from Paperific. On the left side of the photo above the heat tool, is a piece of blotchy stuff which has somehow migrated to my craft desk. It is a slice of zebra rock from the Kimberley area in the north west of Australia. It's fascinating how the distinct colours occur in stripes throughout the very fine sedement and remain discrete as it turns to stone. Because it is such fine sedementary rock, the cut cross section is exceedingly smooth - one of my favourite keep-sakes from travelling up north some years ago.

Now I could do with some suggestions for interesting things to do with egg whites. I have passionfruit icecream churning in the background as I write and egg whites stranded in the refrigerator. Any ideas gratefully received.

Yours as ever,
Ros.

10 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Love your hunk of zebra rock, never heard of that before! My husband and I are rock hounds too and have various chunks around the house!! Liken the cutouts on your desk, look forward to seeing what you do with those! Egg whites = pavlova in my house, know that's so obvious, but it's still lush!!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Other than Pavlova, meringue and cocoanut macaroons have no other ideas, Ros, welcome back and thanks for popping over - my brother in law has a gorgeous piece of Zebra rock too, and yes please would love some sourdough from post below - you did have fun didn't you? and as for Paperific trying not to wish I was there love the way you have used the very yummy dies! Shaz in Oz.x

Elizabeth said...

Hi ros, nice to see you back on WOYWW, and with an interesting desk. Those dies are lovely - like the what you've done with the EP and pearlex powder. I've never seen zebra rock before so interesting to see what it looks like. I've some liquid pearls - like the effect you can get with it. I see previous commenters have suggested uses for the egg whites but I found this egg white cake online that you might like to try -here's the link:

http://nami-nami.blogspot.com/2009/01/egg-white-cake-recipe-angel-cake-recipe.html

Let us know if you try it out and whether it is as good as it looks in the photograph. Have a great week. Elizabeth x #51

Neet said...

WOW next time my rellies come over I must ask for some Zebra rock. Fascinating desk you have there - love those dies - need to investigate.
Thanks for the good wishes and thanks for the snoop. Hugs, Neet x

Sam said...

Hia! Welcome back!
Your bread looks gorgeous. I can almost smell it!!
Those die cuts look lovely too! Very pretty cards will come of these no doubt.
As for your egg whites I can only suggest meringues too.
That rock looks interesting!

Twiglet said...

Yeop - meringues - easy to do and lovely with fresh fruit and cream - yum!!

Tertia said...

Zebra rock from Kimberley? Are you sure you are not in South Africa? One of our mining towns are called Kimberley.
I get scared when I see how many people are already busy preparing for C..., can't even bring myself to type the word. LOL
Happy belated WOYWW

Elizabeth said...

Hello Ros, I've just posted on my blog a recipe for a dessert that uses egg whites which might be of interest to you. I'm off to bed now as it is well after midnight here now. Elizabeth x

Carole Meisenhelter said...

I'm too late for your stranded egg-whites Ros' but I have a fabulous recipe for a lemon-slice with a meringue/coconut topping. Will email it to you.

MaggieC said...

Glad to see you on your kind visit. We really had a whale of a time at the wedding, far better than we had expected - a very special trip. We were so luck with our hotel in the old part of the city, picturesque but and excellent place to lay our weary heads. Hope Google and Blogger carry on allowing you to leave your messages.