Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

22 February, 2012

WOYWW No 142 - simplicity works

Last week I wanted a bereavement card and as sometimes happens in the design process, the idea stayed the same but the outcome turned a corner.

I was looking through my stamps and one took my eye as it has many times - it's a favourite of poppies which seemed suitable for remembrance. So here it is. In fact there are two versions and the finished one is just right for this occasion I think. As you can see, the berry branch design is still on the desk and there's more to do with that.

First version of poppies

I stamped the poppies on water colour paper and embossed with black fine detail EP. Coloured the flowers using a Colorbox applicator and Marvy Markers and then matted with pale green metallic card and edged with Marvy metallic pen. I like it but it's not right for my friend...

Next version is on the same paper but embossed with Seafoam White EP then coloured in a similar way. Matted on metallic pink card with 'Thinking of You' embossed with the same white EP under the poppies.

If you're wondering about this desk inspection, hop over to Julia D who started this funny acronym and visit a few workbenches to share ideas with other desk-hoppers.




Thanks for coming by last week and especially to those who left wonderful comments. I felt a bit overcome at times, and very encouraged.

Enjoy the week and miles of smiles.

23 comments:

Karen said...

What a beautiful stamp and such a pretty card, its lovely :)

Have a great WOYWW and a fab week, Luv Karen xx

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...what a stunning card...poppy's are so delicate and you capture that beautifully...Mel :)

Gwen said...

Both are very, very beautiful and I could not choose between them.
xx 101

Polly Polkadot said...

That is just lovely, and really nice that you can put such care into such an important card. #91

Anesha said...

Lovely workspace and beautiful card.

sandee said...

wow, that edging with the Marvy metallic pen really makes your card look so soft and dreamy! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina!

May said...

Jaw Dropping card, Stunning,Have a great week, Hugs May x x x

scrappymo! said...

Love the etherial (sp???) look of the watercolours. Gorgeous card.

RosA said...

Hi Ros,
Thanks for dropping by. I like the finished poppy card. (I keep meaning to make a few cards, like that, to put away, so I don't have to stress about making them when required.) You're right about the glimmermist. The nozzles do seem to clog up easily. I've been making some pretend glimmermist using those mini misters. I find they are a bit fiddly to actually use because of their small size. But SO easy to make your own.
And the books you can see in that pic are just the tip of the iceberg. We have a serious book addiction here!

Au grenier de la mère Michelle said...

Beautiful card, love the way it turned out!

Have a nice week!
Michelle (161)

karen said...

Both cards are beautiful but I especially love the 2nd one with the soft dreamy effect. Gorgeous!
Thanks for visiting me and Happy WOYWW
xoxo Karen

Maggie's Crafts said...

Lovely work in progress and what a stunning creation.

Thank you for sharing and visiting my blog.
Maggie
#145

Peggy said...

A little late visiting..beautiful card

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Ros,

Both cards are lovely. I do love poppies.

Happy WOYWW
Kay #29

Julia Dunnit said...

Well Ros, I'd say you nailed it; it's a beautiful card and says so much more than a sympathy greeting. Its a bit like the old 'get well soon ' thing...sometimes it sounds like an order or a bit trite. Far more meaning in a lovely, time invested card.

Joanna King (aka Asia K) said...

Beautiful poppy makes!!! Happy woyww! Hugs, Joanna

CraftygasheadZo said...

The poppies are beautiful, I often use mine for many occasions, I just change the colours to suit. Hope you enjoy this week's snoop around the creative desks for WOYWW. I'm still nosing, I know it's Friday, but I will get to everyone! Take care Zo xx 81

MaggieC said...

That final version is just perfect, soft and gentle and so delicate. Really beautiful. thank you for visiting today and your kind comment on my leap year card. xx Maggie #11

Neet said...

I would never have thought of the white outline but it works, and works perfectly. Love how you have coloured it in, all soft and dreamy - perfect for this occasion and also for so many others.
I love poppies and can see what you mean about them being suitable.
Thanks for visiting me (missing my number as you've been) and thanks for sharing. Hugs, Neet (waiting for the berry branch to evolve) xx

Elizabeth said...

Hello Ros, the final version of the card is just perfect for the sad occasion. I love poppies and the soft pink colouring of these is beautiful. Hope you are have a great weekend. Elizabeth x #80

Morti said...

You've just shown me a really good use for my white EP - it gives a beautifully subtle effect, and you're right, the finished card is perfect for the occasion.

Thanks for stopping by.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi there Ros stunning stuff there love the second one esp amazing how different two can be! thanks so much for popping over, and for sharing. Happy belated WOYWW! Shaz in Oz. x #27

Spyder said...

Lovely poppy stamp, and I KNOW I saw this, as I'm sure I said I have some papers that would go very well with it, but it really doesn't need any thing more, does it! Super colours
(Lyn)