Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

20 March, 2012

I've Been Wandering

I've been travelling gypsy style in the Coorong for a couple of weeks which is why I've been away from my blog. Travelling west, we went along the Great Ocean Road which was a return to old haunts of childhood, especially Apollo Bay. Mind you, the weather was less than wonderful with a south easterly blowing like blazes for days. Sleeping in the flapsi hapsi tent the first night was like being inside a whale having a panic attack, but we were warm and dry and the ear plugs helped. We packed away the tent and stayed in a cabin for a couple more nights before moving on.

I took time to do a drawing looking across the harbour to the bay and the hills behind. Even though it was sunny, there were rain clouds over the hills much of the time. I have been playing with these little drawings for some years - a view of where I am in a circle about the size of a CD on black paper. White pencil is the mainstay with all the colour built on top of it. Some high-lights are added with metallic pencils and strong colours added with Inktense Derwents. It's simple and naive as I've never been taught to draw but they give me pleasure and I have a little book full of them now.

Apollo Bay harbour. Coloured pencils on black paper.
The Coorong is a most extraordinary system of lakes and lagoons that is part of the Murray River where it flows into the sea in South Australia - when there is enough water. Years of drought made the lagoons contract and the lakes dry out with the whole system becoming super saline. Now the water levels are higher, the bird life has increased, and the water is back to its normal semi-salinity. The south lagoon is very salty and an alga turns the salt pink.

There are large pelican breeding grounds here too. If you have access to Australian films, there is one all about this magic area called "Storm Boy". The boy and the pelican who are the main characters, frequent this part of the world and the film is a beautiful interpretation of the place and the story by Colin Thiele.

Pelican landing on Lake Albert, early morning
Behold the honourable pelican
Whose beak holds more than his belly can.

This was one of my Dad's little homilies which always tickled his funny bone. Pelicans are most graceful and noble birds and watching them is very soothing. I promise you more. I wasn't completely idle and apart from my little drawing, there are more photos to share which I'll put on a new trip page next to the Dargo High Plains page.

See you on Wednesday.
Ros.

1 comment:

Redanne said...

Ros, your drawing is wonderful and the picture of the pelican is lovely (I have neer seen one). Do not envy you sleeping in that tent, your description was a good one!