Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

03 April, 2012

Icecream in an Igloo!

I've just made strawberry icecream in my little churn called an Igloo. I've had it for years and it only makes small batches but that's enough to satisfy the palette and restrict the consumption.

The Igloo. The bucket is filled with anti-freeze.

The strawberries are small and sweet, grown locally at Sunny Ridge Strawberry Farm about twelve minutes from where I live. They are very yum, and here's the recipe in case you have an Igloo too. So simple.

250 g strawbs, washed and hulled
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup castor sugar (or less if you prefer)
350 ml cream
200 ml milk
....all in the blender until smooth. Throw the mixture in the frozen Igloo bucket and churn for half an hour. Add chunky bits of strawb at the end if you like, then bung it in the freezer.

The fine thing is that the egg whites will be used tomorrow when the Igloo bucket is frozen again. I will make citrus sorbet using orange, lemon, lime and two of the egg whites.

How easy is that, and kids from two to a hundred and two love it.
Smiles,
Ros.

5 comments:

Carole M. said...

count me in on a serve; sounds delicious

Sue said...

Hi Ros
Thank you for your comment....nice to find you again too. Camping for two weeks sound bliss. I will be going camping soon and I have you to thank for the idea of the mattresses which I bought last year and they are wonderful. Your igloo is amazing...perfect... and that recipe sounds so delicious.
Take care and have fun:)
xx

Di said...

Hi Ros, me again! I have something almost the same for ice cream making - you freeze the base then add the electric paddle thingy - yup, mine's made by Magimix but it must be the same principle. So...guess what I'm going to make over Easter! Our strawberries are way off (June) although you can buy Spanish ones all year round. But, I just pulled our first crop of rhubarb - and maybe with a little poaching fiddling and recipe adjustment I could try that out :)

Or, just go for foreign strawberries!

Di xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Clever you coming down for some yum! Shaz in oz.x

BumbleVee said...

I'm going to have to look for one of these...or something like it.... I've never made my own icecream...