Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

24 April, 2012

Painted Ladies

A special friend with a special birthday has prompted me to create a card for her this week. She was my first Head of Department and has remained a good colleague and friend for the last forty-five years. This week she is 80. I chose something close to nature as she is a farmer so this stamp of gum blossoms and painted lady butterfly seemed very appropriate.

I stamped on gloss card with Memento black and then die-cut with a Nestabilities rectangle which gives a one layer frame. Using Colorbox chalks and colour dusters high-lights this frame effect especially when the ink is dry and can be polished. The blossoms are done with Liquid Pearls to great effect but that's not so easy to see in this photograph.

The first version
The butterfly is coloured with Adirondack alcohols using a pointy cotton bud to apply it. Please note that the blue version of the butterfly is fanciful artist's license. The real one is more terra cotta with some pink under the wings which I used in the next edition.

For the matts, I used metallic card and then gloss card treated with alcohols including Pearl and Gold mixatives and blending solution. This is a technique I've used for a long time and is a cross between what Tim Holtz calls agate (CC1) and patina (CC2). I confess to thinking that there isn't much between any of these since the alcohol technique always turns out differently regardless of using same ingredients. Great fun though.

The second version is right for my friend who is not a 'pink' person
Thanks for visiting and wishing you well.  Ros.

1 comment:

Redanne said...

Ros, both cards are beautifully coloured, I love butterflies, so I guess I am biased but I colour then in all sorts of colours too.