Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

27 June, 2012

Dukkah

This is for you Jo (at Jozart) from your viewing my post last weekend. I'm delighted you asked about one of my favourite culinary delights. Dukkah is a traditional Egyptian spice mix which can be used in many ways. There are as many variations as there are people who make it, however the basic nuts and spices are included in this recipe. Hope you like it.

Ingredients for your Dukkah:

50g hazelnuts
50g pistachios (or almonds)
20g sesame seeds
13g coriander seeds
13g cumin seeds
13g sweet paprika (optional)
8-10g turmeric
5g cinnamon stick ground
1g salt or less to taste.

8-10g fennel seeds (optional).
Experiment with all the ‘optionals’.

Method:

Roast hazelnuts and remove skins by rubbing. Roast pistachios/almonds also. Lightly toast the sesame seeds, set aside. Gently toast the coriander, cumin and fennel seeds until aromatic.

In a coffee or spice grinder reduce the spices until finely crushed but not powdery. In a food processor (or grinder) grind the nuts coarsely. Mix with the sesame seeds, all the spices and salt.

Store in an airtight container.

Serve with fresh bread dipped in EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and then dukkah. It makes a lovely nibble before dinner with a fresh white wine or a good red before dinner. Also very good cooked in oil with onions before adding couscous... oh yum! If you would like the recipe for that, let me know.  Applause…     ;-)


Here is the French Island Olive Grove stall at the Farmers Market. Notice that the oil is a little cloudy. It's certified organic, pressed on the farm, not filtered and full of goodies. Oh, YUM. Alison is very pleased with the new press.

Let me know if you try the recipe and I do hope you like it.
Great gustatory grinning,
Ros.

4 comments:

RosA said...

Hi Ros,
Lovely Dukkah! I've actually made it myself, although not recently. I will have a go using your recipe! Unfortunately, my culinary skills don't run to breadmaking. Just not enough hours in the day. However, we do have a fabulous Growers' Market nearby and you can get very decent bread there.
BTW, your ATCs are on my to-do list, but I'm easily distracted :)
Catch you soon!
RosA #40

Redanne said...

I am clapping, but you can't hear me!! I love the sound of this cooked with added couscous, must try this recipe. Thank you for sharing it Ros. Anne x

Sandy said...

Oh I look at sour dough bread and think I would love to have a go at that. Is it a lot of work? your new stamps look fab so interesting. Sewing is so in at the moment, love those ones you have. Sandy :) #51

RosA said...

Hi Ros,

Once again we are on the same wavelength. I rarely add salt to anything I am cooking, unless it is absolutely essential, (which as far as I can tell is hardly ever), so I probably would have either left it out of the dukkah altogether or just added the tiniest amount. I don't usually have any qualms about altering recipes :)