Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

04 June, 2012

Orchids and another farewell

We have had a weekend of sunshine, and rain all day today, Monday. Not a good washing day (to dry on the clothes line traditionally, that is). I lit the fire tonight and enjoyed its comfort whilst my socks dried and the lamb shanks made the place smell delicious.

My long time friend lost her Mum the other day so I sat down to think about her and make a card. The gold and copper tones are her colours, and the simple embellishment is enough for the occasion.

Fly-away butterflies seem to match this occasion.

I clear embossed matt cardstock, then worked the background with Distress Inks - wild honey, spiced marmalade, and rusty hinge. I used a die-cut for the circles and used the bow-maker for the little bow which would otherwise have been much too fiddly to manage.

I did experiment with other background using Copic pens with the airbrush then stamping with StazOn black. It worked reasonably well but the subtle colouring was harder to achieve. I'll post a few on Wednesday.

Now here's something gorgeous. The orchids are out so the pots have pride of place under cover on the terrace and they growing a treat. They give lots of pleasure.


Not sure what these cold weather orchids are called.

Have been enjoying the Diamond Jubilee reports - what a spectacular river pageant, and what stamina Herself has! Crikey, I'll be pleased to do the same when I'm still younger than she, not to mention Phillip, also a stalwart! Found myself musing about whether they have a small gym at Buck House.

Bless 'em all,
Ros.

6 comments:

Redanne said...

Hi Ros, your card is so beautiful, such a shame it is for a sad occasion. Wow - orchids outside, how wonderful! We thoroughly enjoyed all the pageantry yesterday and she was amazing considering the rain and cold, we sat in the comfort of our armchairs, too far to travel to London. Anne x

Elizabeth said...

Hi Ros, beautiful card - the colours caught my eye right away and I love the butterflies. Your orchids are fantastic, and growing outside - we could never do that here in Scotland. Watched the pageant too and was struck by how stoic the Queen, and indeed the rest of the Royal family, is. However, it's been announced that Prince Phillip is ill and in hospital today - looks as though he is paying a price for standing around in the chilly weather for hours. I also had to admire all the people who were in the flotilla - they were absolutely drenched! Tonight it's the concert and I plan to watch some, if not all, of that - I think it's going to be amazing. Elizabeth x

Eileen said...

Hi Ros ... just popped over to say thank you for the lovely comment you left on my blog ... glad I did, cos this card is a 'bit of all right' I love it. Gorgeous butterflies .. a real stunner! Warm wishes to your friend X
Eileen xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi there Ros, sorry about your friend sad time indeed but a very lovely card - thanks for sharing and you can see some Queen pickies I took on my WOYWW post love Shaz in oz.x

Sue said...

That card is just perfect for your friend and she will be so pleased that you used her favourite colours. Those orchids are just fantastic...wow!!
xxx

Bridget Larsen said...

Came to visit your desk but saw a lovely view of your garden, I thought Melbourne was shrouded in rain, must have passed now
Bridget WOYWW 158 mystery number