Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

08 July, 2012

A Card for a 50th Birthday

Last week I went to a workshop with my long-time local paper arts shop owner, Cathy. This was a great workshop having a special emphasis on colouring techniques. I must mention that since I moved to the beach, it's not so local any more but I like to return to this familiar spot, and have recently taken a few workshops again.

Yesterday I made a card for my friend whose 50th birthday party was last night. I used a technique learned last week, and as the decoration on her gift was butterflies, of course I followed that theme for card and gift wrap paper. Not that I haven't been interested in butterflies lately as you may have noticed! I decided the colours should be happy and vibrant just like my friend, and just like the celebration.


Butterflies in bright colours for a brilliant personality

Materials:

Butterflies stamp.
Die-cutters – Butterfly formation, Tiny butterflies.
Distress inks – broken china, squeezed lemon.
Alcohol inks - watermelon, sunshine, lettuce. Gold mixative.
Perfect Pearl and water mix in mini mister. (Help: does anyone have a trick to stop mini misters clogging apart from washing out the nozzle every time it's used?)

Method:

1. Cut a mask free-hand with a craft knife to create a rectangle of background colour. The edge of the rectangle is pleasingly wobbly. Used this to apply Distress inks to matt card stock.
2. Stamped the butterfly formation in Archive Black ink. Sprayed the whole with Perfect Pearl.
3. Cut all butterflies from gloss card treated with alcohol inks, listed above and glued them in place using Diamond Glaze.
4. Matted the on gloss card treated with watermelon & gold alcohol ink, then mounted the whole thing on ice gold card stock.

Gold gift wrap sprayed with Copic ink.
  This paper is flat gold, fairly thin and plain. I die-cut a butterfly and used both the positive and negative die-cuts as templates. I also die-cut a leafy twig for the same purpose. With the Air Brush System (ABS) I used Copic pens to create a matching paper for the gift. The pens need filling now so I find that I don't do this very often but for special occasions, it's fun.

Hope you enjoy this project.
Cheers,
Ros.

3 comments:

Redanne said...

You may not do it very often but what a stunning result when you do! I love butterflies (well it is an obsession really) and I love your wonderful card, your friend must have been delighted! A x

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Very lovely card. I'll bet it is even prettier in person. I love these different coloring techniques but don't have the energy to do them myself.

I don't have problems with my mini mister. I use mine to spritz lemon juice onto fruit so you'd think that would clog it up. Mine worked for months before it gave up the ghost.

Ryn Tanaka said...

Hey Ros, I love the different layers you created in this card. It's a beauty! I like that you matched the gift wrap as well :)