Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

22 August, 2012

WOYWW No 168 Spring has Sprung...

Remember that silly rhyme from school? It's not Spring officially until 1st September but it feels like it.

Spring has sprung, the grass is rizz.
I wonder where the birdies is.
Some say the birds is on the wing
But that's absurd.
The wings is on the bird.

It's remarkable how the most unromantic things can connect with the most wonderous and romantic. I have just put the bins out for rubbish collection tomorrow, and the moon was a brilliant crescent in a black sky full of stars. I thought of the lines in  Alfred Noyes' poem "The Highwayman".

The wind was a torrent of darkness tossed among gusty trees
The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas.

No wonder I needed to escape from the city to find 5 million star accommodation. Without the light pollution, the Magellan clouds are clear, the silver light is beautiful and it inspires passions that make getting older seem unlikely. Spring has sprung and the blood in my veins is running amok.

Miss Dixie checks out the daffs and wall flowers.

Plum blossom and lavender. Last year the possums eat all the buds so we had no plums. This year they have more choice so home made plum jam will be back in the larder.
There's nowt on my desk but course work for the University of the Third Age where I am facilitating a course for the tutors about session planning and presentation skills in a couple of weeks. It's quite a lot of work and time is running short but I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks to everyone who left wonderful comments and to my followers, both new and established. Welcome to everyone with an interest in the world of art and ideas, particularly as found in this weekly event called What's On My Workdesk Wednesday. If you would like to understand more about this desk hopping, follow the link to Julia Dunnit's Stamping Ground.

Bliss-ings to all,
Ros.

20 comments:

Frances said...

Miss Dixie is sweet and your photos are great, so vivid and crisp. I am glad I stopped by and glad I joined Workdesk Wednesday.

Eliza said...

The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor.

And the highwayman came riding up to the old inn door

He had a French cocked hat on his forehead, a bunch of lace at his chin.

This brings back some memories for me and sweet ones that they are.

I love your garden very beautiful especially with spring just around the corner. Just love daffies and snapdragons that talk. LOL

Eliza #24

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I rarely remember the last part of the Spring has Sprung poem so it was nice to see it in its glory. The photo of Miss Dixie is fabulous--your garden looks like such a nice, relaxing place to be. And how good that the possums have something else to munch on this year.

Redanne said...

Ah, listen to you waxing lyrical - it must be Spring indeed! But seriously, I wish I lived somewhere where the night sky is clear enough to see more than one star at a time - must be heaven on earth. Amazing what a couple of weeks can do, it really does look like Spring! Happy WOYWW, Anne x #32

Buttons said...

You threw me for a minute with talk of spring - then I realised your lovely garden is down under! Don't think the UK really got out of spring. These days the weather just seems to merge the seasons into one long puddle. Even the birds are confused (babies in August?!) Best of luck with the tutors. Hugs, Buttons #81

trisha too said...

So lovely, Ros, thank you for sharing your spring flowers (and Miss Dixie!) with us, a very refreshing sight!

:)trisha #36ish

Julia Dunnit said...

Ah Ros, your photos are wonderful and your enthusiasm is filling me with spring, thank you..we head into autumn, and even now there are a few crispy leaves about!

EELS said...

Hi there Ros, what a beautiful garden, I remember when we had Lavender (in Melbourne) but it doesn't grow well in the sub tropics - too humid. Love your puss tat too.
Cheers, Elaine #31

Carole M. said...

I've been spending long days in the gardens of late Ros' - it is my payback for languishing over the colder months. It's good to start getting on top of it all again....weather has been delightful. I wanted to really say though how pretty the photos from your garden and I caught up with an interstate friend last week, she also complained about the possums stripping the plum blossoms

Elizabeth said...

the advent of spring seems to have brought out the romantic and lyrical in you, Ros - and why not, your garden is looking lovely.

And that's the second time today I've seen a quote from The Highwayman ... lovely.

Good luck with the course work and the all it entails.

Happy WOYWW, Elizabeth x #105

VonnyK said...

Aah yes, I can feel the spring coming too. It's 27 deg today and at last I feel warm. Your garden looks wonderful and bright. Can't wait for the flowers to bloom up here in Brissie. We've had the coldest winter for years, bring on spring!!
Have a great week.
Von #45

okienurse said...

great pictures and it looks like Miss Dixie is liking being out amongst it! Thanks for sharing the gorgeous flowers with us. Vickie #68

butlersabroad said...

Great post Ros, so nice to see the waking of nature in your part of the world. We're starting to cool down in Michigan, the nights have been much more chillier than of late and we've loved having the windows thrown wide open and sleeping well again. Nice to see part of The Highwayman poem, don't see that quoted often (wonder where else Elizabeth saw it!). Good luck preparing the course.

Hugs
Brenda 5

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Wow, I'd forgotten all about that poem 'The Highwayman'!! How apt is that? That's one thing I remember from being in the highlands of Scotland, no light pollution so awesome night skies...completely wonderful. Good Luck with the U3A stuff!
Hugs, LLJ #71 xx

Sue said...

Your Spring flowers are beautiful. How delicious is plum jam, yum yum...lucky you! We are going into Autumn soon...the quicker the better; it has been very hot here recently.

Can you make art with plum jam??
:)
xxx

Elizabeth said...

Hi Ros, just popping back after reading your comment ... thought I'd better tell you that the chook cupboard is still in use but no longer in line of camera ... will try to include it in future pics just for you :)) Hope you have a lovely weekend. Elizabeth x #105

Tertia said...

I think Spring has sprung over here too. I am wearing a short sleeve for the first time in months.
Lovely photo's.
Happy very belated WOYWW!
Tertia #52

May said...

Beautiful post Ros full of Fabulous photographs.. Little Miss Dixie is Gorgeous... Have a happy week, Hugs May x xx#4

Neesie said...

A lovely post Ros with stunning photos...ahhh...it does you good to see all the wonderful flowers and Miss Dixie of course.

I'd never heard that rhyme before but I can relate so much to the 5 million star accommodation.
I can sit and look at the night sky for hours if the temperature is right. Pot bellied stove a blaze, a good glass of red with good company out under a star lit sky is just a perfect way to spend a evening!
Thanks for sharing and enjoy your Sunday xoxo

MaggieC said...

Lovely photos of your garden. I am so jealous as ours has just been flooded or a sea of mud all summer (well, it was nominally summer - more like autumn or winter). We have virtually no flowers, and most things have either rotted or been eaten by slugs and snails. I love the look of all those new stamps and I a sure you will have so much fun with them. Thank you for your visits this week and your kind comments. have a good week. xx #102