Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

29 August, 2012

WOYWW No 169...by the skin of my teeth

Hello WOYWW folks, visitors and Followers. Hope the week is going well. It's sunny this afternoon here and I feel it's a terrible day to be stuck at the desk doing work work. Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments, replies and a couple of new followers, Shirley and Butttons a week ago. Welcome.

I didn't manage to visit many people last week and the same will happen again this week. I will certainly be along to those who leave me comments and as many more as possible, then expect to be back to normal next Wednesday.

Getting the training day prepared for U3A - still truckin'
This desk picture pertains to What's On Your Workdesk, Wednesday but it's an unusual desk this week. The familiar tools and bottles are at the back but the paper warfare has crept into pride of place. 

By way of explanation, a mob of us from many countries leap around to see each other's desks starting with the Stamping Ground over at the Dunnit Establishment. Go there to discover more.

Yesterday I went to another little workshop at Bellbird Paper Arts and did some simple and lovely card-making with Heather and a group of delightful women.  Heather is famous ;-)  because her photo and some of her work were in a recent stamping magazine here.  I bought a lovely stamp by Memory Box called Night Cat and couldn't resist stamping him. I took the idea for this little practice piece from a card at Bellbird by Lenise. I love the stamp and look forward to doing more with it. A little masking and some hammered texture card makes an interesting effect and it gave me a break from the preparation.


This reminds me of the poems by Don Marquis, "archie and mehitabel".  The latter is a well-bred alley cat.

If you want to know more about archie and mehitabel, just google that phrase and it will come up. The poems are just gorgeous to read out loud with lots of expression. It takes practice though as there is no punctuation or capitalising. You see, archie is a cockroach who writes the poems on the boss' type-writer at night. He jumps onto the keys with his head but can't manage the shift key as well naturally. His philosophies remain in the type-writer for the boss to read in the morning. He often writes about mehitabel who is a well-bred alley cat with an outrageous and raunchy past. "Life is just one kitten after another".

Well that's it for now. Gotta run to the printer for the course workbooks.

Sunny smiles,
Ros.

21 comments:

inkypinkycraft said...

love the silhouette stamp! have a great week trace x 48

Helen said...

That stamp is just fab - and I'm not really a 'cat person'... have a good week.
Helen, #40

Buttons said...

Great stamp well used:) Sounds like you are keeping extremely busy but good to here there is still time to play. Hugs, Buttons #66

Julia Dunnit said...

Wow Ros, that's serious preparations, and mighty impressive! So nice to read of your enjoying a workshop now and then, as you know, I'm a huge believer in the social and 'learning' ideas part of them. Loving the cat, and now I have to go and google the writings of a cockroach. There's words I never thought I 'd use in the same sentence!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

You see, that's what I love about WOYWW, you always learn something new. I searched for archie and mehitabel, wow, what genius they are. I can't believe I've never heard of them. Funny and poignant too..that alley cat stamp IS pure mehitabel, love the yellowy streelighting.
Thsnks Ros, you really have added something special to my life today :)
Hugs, LLJ #72 xx

okienurse said...

busy looking desk! Love the new stamp! great image the way you have it colored. Have a great week. Thanks for sharing! Vickie #67

Neet said...

Ooh heck! That looks like a lot of work on your first photograph.
Love the cards you have done with the cat in silhouette - what a delightful stamp and what a lovely way you have done it.
Off for a Google now.
Thanks so much for sharing - Hugs, Neet #45 xx

Elizabeth said...

Hi Ros, your desk reminds me of my university days - tons of writing and prep :)

Glad to see it hasn't been all work and love the stamp - love any stamp that features cats - but also love what you've done with it too. And the info about archie and mehitabel is terrific - love the quote about kittens too. My favourite cat poems are, perhaps predictably, from TS Eliot's Old Possum's Books of Practical Cats and my favourite cat is Macavity - the mystery cat :)

You'll like my photo this week - an old favourite has made an appearance. Have a great day and fabulous week. Elizabeth x #101

Rita said...

Great workspace Ros. At least its busy and looks interesting too. Hugs from Scotland. Rita 88 xx

Redanne said...

Hi Ros, that is a great stamp and I love what you have done with it - fabulous background. Great story too about archie and mehitabel (lovely name), off to look it up! Happy WOYWW, Anne x #32

Eliza said...

Very clever style with that stamp. Glad you are enjoying the workshops at Blackburn are you going to paperific this weekend?

Eliza #36

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Love the night cat stamp and what you've done with it. I wish the cockroaches in my house would do something exciting like type up poems or do a spot of dusting. Alas, they just hang out and chat with the cats. We have shallow sewers in our neighborhood so the roaches are frequent visitors when it rains. But bring on the roaches if it means rain! Gosh knows we need it. I hope you get done doing the non-crafting stuff so you can get back to the crafting stuff. Soon!

Unknown said...

I really like how you created the lamp light. Very nice card.

Hugs,
Debra
#182

Samantha Elliott said...

Do I dare ask for what you are preparing? It all seems like alot of work.
Love that cat stamp and I don't even like cats as a rule, though I would not hurt one.
Off to read about a poetic cockroach now.
Hugs
Hettie
P.S. When LLJ and I met the other week we got onto talking about words and I told her of a book I have which relates to words founded through the textile world (me being a quilter). I will e-mail you the title. It really is quite fun! xx

trisha too said...

What a fun stamp, and your card is wonderful, Ros!

:)Happy WOYWW!
trisha, #148 this week

Tertia said...

That stamp is great! Love what you have done with it too.
Happy WOYWW!
Tertia #49

Terry said...

The light shining on the cat looks amazing. I'm now following your blog and hope you'll follow mine at http://goinovertheedge.blogspot.com.

Hugs,

Terry #60

Neesie said...

I think this may be a first for me Ros because I'm about to say that that 'cocky' sounds cute! EEW...I can't believe I've said that because I've had a phobia for many years.
Phewph...your desk looks busy!
The Night Cat stamp is great ^..^
Happy WOYWW Neesie #29

Eliza said...

Ros,

I went to Paperific today (friday) and wont be going tomorrow as I have work to do someone has to put the footy on TV LOL

Have fun it is a great show and drop in and see Debbie at HEaven Scent she is one of my very dear friends. She will show you the Tria pens better than Copic, well worth the look to see what they do.

Talk soon
Ive gotta work

Eliza

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Ah Ros - we are all slightly infected with the joy of discoveringand sharing which is part of WOYWW - today am bsuy finding a poem i learned (or part thereof as a child called Hist by CJ Dennis - just love it and just finished copying it out for sharing when I cam over to your post so of course had to Google of all things a cockroach who writes poems!!! just love what you did with your new stamp much fun afoot there :D and happy WOYWW thanks for sharing, Shaz in oz.x

Bridget Larsen said...

I loved Bellbird when I worked up the road from them, it was my lunch time excursion lol
Bridget #3