Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

14 November, 2012

WOYWW No. 180 - a double dip.

Hello again dear WOYWW-ers. (I feel as though this silly acronym could be Warriors with a speech impediment.) Let me assure you that a silly acronym belies the serious and delirious enjoyment we People of the Desks have on Wednesdays. It's What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday, you see. If you're even half curious, then follow this link to Julia Dunnit's Stamping Ground to see where it all starts. Why, she's even been on the radio about this splendid delirium!!!

Thank you and welcome to my new followers. It's a pleasure to have you along and if I haven't already, I will certainly return the compliment.

I was absent last week to my regret, however am back again and looking forward to seeing as many desks as I can manage. On my desk this week is some preliminary design planning for my Christmas and New Year Greeting cards which will have a nautical theme. I have another idea as well that is musical but it's taking time to gel.

This is one of Michael Powell's shore thing stamps which seems quite celebratory with all the bunting.
The other thing on my desk today is my lovely art journal that I started in a workshop with Cathy at Bellbird Paperarts a little while ago. We did part 2 last weekend, adding three pages to which I have been putting the finishing touches today.

Various techniques here for background and the features. I particularly like the vellum butterfly wing.
The designs are Cathy's although she encourages us to make individual changes to the colour schemes for instance, or the placement of the elements. I love the butterfly which is stamped on 160 gsm vellum and coloured with Twinklings. It's then embossed with a ball tool on the back which bruises the vellum making it white. This makes the mica water colours so much more brilliant.

These workshops are such a great way to learn the nature of art materials and techniques and come away with some tools and materials that we have been able to try out. She also expects us to add our own pages between classes so we learn from a bit of  'show and tell' the next time. Great idea.

Enjoy the rest of the week and the weekend.
Miles of smiles,
Ros.

15 comments:

Buttons said...

Hi Ros, loving seeing your Christmas designs (ooooh, Michael Powell - just LOVE his stamps) and the fact that for you this time of year is warm and outdoorsy - not snowy with log fires, and colds/flu!! And as for that journalling, well blow me down is that out of this world!!! What did you colour your vellum buttefly with as it is incredibly lifelike. Adore this. Happy WOYWW, hugs Butttons #64

Redanne said...

Hi Ros, I love those Michael Powell stamps too, great idea to use them at Christmas, given the wonderful weather over there. Your journal page is simply gorgeous, love the colours on that butterfly and I also love the journal itself, the paper looks wonderful. Happy WOYWW, Anne x #65

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Cor, I love that seaside stamp - the detail is gorgeous. That would make a fine print on my walls, I think :)
And the butterfly is beautiful as well, what a great technique to have learned. Love the simplicity of it!
Hugs, LLJ #68 xx

butterfly said...

I saw the Michael Powell stamps in real life for the first time at the NEC on Sunday, and they really do look amazing - great plan to use them for Christmas. And I'm open-mouthed at the beauty of your art journal page... subtle, delicate background, gorgeous text and silhouetted plants, and then that glowing butterfly wing - that's a big WOW from me! Happy WOYWW!
Alison x
#4

okienurse said...

Great looking sea side stamp and you are right with all the bunting it does look very festive. I am a traditional red and green so I would probably paint the banners in red and green! Very detailed stamp too! Love your journal page and the vellum does give the wing a translucent quality doesn't it! Awesome! Have a great week and thanks for sharing. Vickie #62

Bridget Larsen said...

That is absolutely stunning, love the butterfly over the script
Bridget #33

RosA said...

Hi Ros, Thanks for dropping by and for your kind comments re those backgrounds. I am really going to try and turn them into some sort of journal pages. Although I am not one to write bucket loads of personal stuff for general viewing :) But, hey, I love what you are doing in that journal! Is it handmade paper? You may have mentioned before ... I will skim back and have a look. The background colouring technique is gorgeous and I love how you have left a border. (I hope you keep showing us more pages.)
I saw those stamps advertised somewhere and thought they were great but I managed to resist buying them!
Happy late WOYWW!

Darnell J Knauss said...

You are a true artist, Ros! Your work on your Christmas design looks like archetechtural drawings! And the journal is just yummy, period. Lovely book, beautiful design by Kathy, but incredible execution by you. How wonderful to have such classes available to you!

Thanks for the visit to me, I preshiate it! Have a wonderful couple of weeks if I'm not around before then. Next Wednesday I will be in the kitchen prepping the do-ahead stuff for Thanksgiving. A meal of turkey where we all eat like pigs!! Darnell #41

Eliza said...

Beautiful work love the colours in the butterfly it really makes your work pop.

Hppy WOYWW
Eliza

tuesday afternoon said...

This is really beautiful, so tranquil, apologies for late comment, but just seen your lovely journal page.

EELS said...

G'day Ros,
I'm a bit behind in visiting desks as there's been a lot going on here but steady as she goes I say.
Thanks for your comment re Mum, I love the sentiment 'comfortably in my heart's hip pocket' that's a gem!

Although I'm not 'arty' at all I can definitely appreciate your art journal, it's beautiful....love the colours etc.
Have a lovely crafty weekend,
Elaine #17

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hullo there Ros, ah loving that butterfly it fair knocks me out as yous say fun to learn these methods.. and yes have that stsmp but would never have thought of t as a Christmas stamp well done!!
Thanks so much for popping over and thanks for sharing ~ happy WOYWW! Shaz in Oz. x #10

Minxy said...

Looks like an Amazing journal class, your page is just stunning x
Thanks for the visit Hugz Minxy #8

Shoshi said...

Ros, what utterly beautiful work. Your art journal page had me gasping! I must try painting on vellum. The composition of the page is excellent - so much the better for the half butterfly and the black stems for contrast and balance. I love to see works in progress, too, and sketched designs of the work at the planning stage - I am sure those Christmas cards will be amazing, and I look forward to seeing the finished result.

Thank you for your very thoughtful post on my blog - my page was obviously very well observed! Takes one to know one, as they say!! I always think the effort of taking a little time to examine someone's work is well rewarded, like immersing oneself in beautiful music, or savouring a well-cooked dish rather than wolfing it down!

I am bookmarking this particular page because I know I shall want to return to your art journal page. It's so beautiful.

You will be glad to hear that the hubster is now fully recovered!

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #20

Shoshi said...

Thanks for your lovely comments re my craft equipment, Ros - I'm a bit of a gadget junkie myself! The Bosch glue gun is definitely worth the money. I'm fed up with spending money on rubbish tools - it's a false economy!

It sounds absolutely idyllic where you are. Here, it is so dark during the day, with our typical November weather - rain, heavy clouds, pretty cold too. However, we've been blessed with an absence of wind recently, and our autumn colours are gorgeous. My hubby got quite fed up with me raving about them when we went out yesterday! He can't see what the fuss is all about because he's colour blind!!

Great work you did for disabled people. It must have been fun, and so rewarding, to think up ideas to help people do things more easily.

Shoshi