Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

21 November, 2012

WOYWW No 181. Christmas Cheer

Greeting friends and followers.

I hope you are well, content, and feeling creative. I'm looking forward to the usual round of desks and beg your indulgence if it takes me a few days. Tomorrow I'm off to Melbourne again for another workshop at Bellbird with a different instructor this time. That will divert me from my desk hopping somewhat but I'll around to as many as possible.

If you are curious, visit The Stamping Ground and find out more about What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday from Julia Dunnit there.

Here's a broad view of the general flurry happening at present. What about the cute ironing board.
I have been playing with wax paper and heat techniques, and also some new shrink plastic I found in a cheap and cheerful shop. It works very well - both the ironing board and the plastic.  ;-)   My stamps catalogue is open on the same table but otherwise you just have an overview of the Den!

Here is the intense muddle of too much on the go at once.
I have indeed got three things (or more) happening here. Encapsulated in the usual array of 'grab n use' items around the decreasing work area, on the left are the dummy runs for Christmas cards. Have I ever got to get a wriggle on!!!  Then sitting on top of a DI pad further to the right is some music, reduced and distressed  that I though might work as a background for another design. It's a version of an Australian bush Christmas song which is lovely words and music, but maybe next year. Then open in the centre is my ideas book where I'm recording some possible designs and techniques that I had on my phone. The phone is not my fave for taking photos as it's old and inconvenient but then I just want it to be a phone. So I'm recording and deleting and as a photographer, I'll take a camera any day.

Now here is the real Christmas Cheer! I went to the local grog shop to buy wines for the impending round of hospitality. Amongst the sparkling reds I found this bottle of shiraz bubbly which I couldn't resist. McLaren Vale is a good wine growing area in South Aus but of course, I thought immediately of you Elizabeth. You can see that we have this silly affection for chooks in this country - hope you can read the wine-maker's tongue-in-cheek description on the label. I'll report on the contents of the bottle in due course.

Quite the handsome chook. Hope the shiraz is as fine.
Sometimes the wine-makers do this silly stuff which I thing is the best fun. It's a great conversation point and the wine is usually great. Does anyone have other examples of fun wine labels?

Speaks for itself.

Enjoy your week remaining and the weekend.
Miles of smiles,
Ros. 


26 comments:

EELS said...

Oh I love it Ros,
yes I think our American counterparts (and maybe the Brits too) would wonder what the heck a chook is.
Loving the cute ironing board - I do not possess an ironing board in any shape or form as I don't do ironing....full stop! What sort of iron is that though? a special craft one? I could prob do with one of those?????
Still waiting for the WOYWW post to appear yet.
Cheer,
Elaine

Neesie said...

Phewph...well I made it at last Ros and what do I see? AN IRONING BOARD!
I'm desperately trying to hide from mine!
Great to see your desk though...I know it's been some time. I think we both need to get a wriggle on...but you are much further along in the planning stage ;D
Love the Black Chook!
Cheers
Neesie no number x

Sandy said...

Love the sketches in your book, what a great way to organise.. I will have to get a bottle of that wine to try.. How funny, hope they have some locally, they should though.. No WOYWW number yet.. Sandy :)

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hullo there Ros, Mm blogger is being confusing today, but time zones are quite that way anyway.. and heard a fellow on radio yest saying we should do away with them.. not sure if it would solve life's problems.
Well certainly a lot going on and can see some designs coming through there and love the floral images below post too made me quite homesick for Melbourne days as they were the sort of gardens I lived in years ago down there.
Thanks so much for popping over and thanks for sharing ~ happy WOYWW! Shaz in Oz. x # no number yet.
(ps knew about the illogical side of the paw/hoof comment to and smiled when you picked up on it :D)

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

PPS Ros just popped back to my blog and saw your other comment and no dont mind your pedantry at all :D you see the teacher in me quite agrees but the other me chuckles away :D

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Oh and the birds were on the other side of driveway, I took it on very long range throguh the window about ten feet away or so. Shaz,xx

TeddyBobCrafts said...

Happy WOYWW. Loving the cute ironing board. I now have 3 full-size boards - and I hate ironing! I had one that was still usable, then inherited my MIL's when she passed away last year (it was nearly brand new and I had always admired the cute cover), and now just had one FREE with the new steam ironing machine-thingy that I got from a shopping channel last week. I was struggling to handle our old and heavy iron, and saw this one being demonstrated that you can push with one finger. So the credit card was used and it arrived yesterday. Now, I have to tackle the huge pile of ironing that lives under my desk in my craft room! Loving your craft room - looks very much like mine - and my workspace seems to decrease by the day too. I have an ideas notebook now - very useful to record what comes into my head at night. Ali x #19 ps We have a local 'deli' that sells wine with great labels (and they are Australian). I knew what a chook was. I grew up with Neighbours and Home & Away!!

okienurse said...

Someone actually gave DH a Bottle of Black Chook a while back but I don't remember drinking it so will have to look through the wine rack and see if it is still here! Don't own and ironing board but might if I could find one like that. I am a lazy person who wears a lot of jeans and tshirts and drys them in a dryer because my neighborhood has a covenant against outside lines...I know one more govt infringement on my rights. Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Vickie #2

Sue said...

It's such a good idea to use a sketch book to plan - something I definitely intend to do next year with my projects - may save me so much time in the long run!
Great crafting room - wish I had so much space.
Sue

donnalouiserodgers said...

Ros I want your desk, and the sunshine please, oh and a drop of the plonk too, not that I am envious, just a tinge green is all...

dx 58

Neil said...

Morning, thanks for letting me peek into your creative world this morning. Lots on the go and I hope you enjoy the wine!

Neil#34

JoZart said...

Now I'll be looking for a bottle of that wine as, besides being such a fun label, I love sparkling red and we don't see many here. Great post, good fun, but you are certainly organised. Best of all the SUN is shining and it's great to see whilst we are in the misery of cold dull Winter.
Jo x

Laurart said...

Oh my!!! What an amazing room! I am sooo envious! I can't stop looking at the pics....Happy WOYWW! xxx Laura #51

RosA said...

Hi Ros, Thanks for dropping by. Seeing that little ironing board made me smile. Way back, in another lifetime, on a planet far, far away, when I was doing Commercial Needlecraft at tech we all bought special handmade ironing boards ... for ironing SLEEVES! Can you believe it? (I do as little ironing as possible these days.)
Do let us know whether you recommend the black chook. We used to have a visiting chicken at a previous house. Very strange, as it was quite in the middle of suburbia, just up the street from a train line and station.

Hope the workshop was good. (Sandra De and I are going to a Finnabair workshop next MARCH. She's a Polish mmixed media artist.)
Sorry, that was a bit of a ramble!
Happy WOYWW!

Sunshine Girl said...

Oooh what a lovely creative space you have there - love that little ironing board and your journal. Enjoy the wine. Sunshine Girl No. 37

Buttons said...

LOVE/am envious of; your mini ironing board, the fact that you are organised enough to plan projects before 'diving in', the sunshine outside your window and what looks like a cracking bottle of wine. Happy WOYWW, hugs Buttons #77

scrappystickyinkymess said...

I missed retuning your visit last week so you are on my list for this week!

Love the label (and I actually do know what a chook is but is it embarassing to admit it's only from watching Home & away when my 20 YO was napping as a baby? :) )

My fave is from Dave's Insanity Sauce where under uses it mentions removing grease spots from the driveway LOL!
Did I mention I am envious of your handwriting? From what I can see if puts my chook scratchings to shame....

Happy WOYWW!
Mary Anne (16)

Jacqui Chimes said...

Great desk! Jacqui #96

Tertia said...

Your desk seems awfully organised to me.
My BIL made some wine last year and the label has photo's of all the nieces on it. Quite special.
Happy WOYWW!
Tertia #8

Jackie said...

your craft space looks a great place to be.............. and it has wine...any hidden chocalate ?
your book looks really good would like a closer look at some point
Jackie 12
http://scrapbangwallop.blogspot.com

Julia Dunnit said...

I love the bLack Chook label! I am, I have to say, a label aficionado...that's how I choose my hooch! Nice overview of your room Ros, and such a familiar thing huh, the old too much going on really. I'm impressed at your notebook, and understand about the phone thing...I can't use my phone because then I need to get my glasses out and my fingers are too fat and oh blah blah!!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I've never had a sparkling red before - sounds intriguing! Aussie labels are such fun and quite irreverent, so much better than stuck-up French ones...
your work area looks fun, I'm going to come and play - can you put the kettle on please??
Hugs, LLJ #36 xx

Samantha Elliott said...

I know exactly what a chook is as that is what I call my Girls. I want (need) a bottle of that wine so need to google it to see if I can find one in the UK.
Great shots of your room, always nice to see how we all work in but then that is the whole reason we join in WOYWW though isn't it.
Hugs
Hettie 38

VonnyK said...

We Aussies do love a chook. In fact my post for APR this week is a painting of one of our chooks. I'm with you on the phone thing, mine has all this touchy feely stuff but I just want a phone. Love your room.
Have a great week.
Von #44

Renee said...

Thanks for the view of your crafty space...I would love to have that lovely window in my craftroom...but you can keep the ironing board for yourself! Enjoy your wine!
Hugs, Renee
#125

Lucy said...

Your den looks very homely and exciting as it seems there is a lot going on. Love the ironing board and you've inspired me to get one. Would make life so much easier if i didn't have to run downstairs and erect my behemoth board everytime a seam needs pressing. Cheers and keep up the good work! x