Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

17 February, 2013

Butterflies

I made this card for a friend who lost her Mother recently. I like to contemplate the person for whom I am designing and making a special card. Somehow it's focused time without clocks just for that person and I hope she likes this one.

I'm very keen on Twinkling H2O colours on vellum recently, especially after embossing the back with a stylus to bruise the vellum. This makes it white on the back and the Twinks really jump off the paper.

Butterflies on watercolour paper
On watercolour paper, and using the mini mister I made up recently with DI mustard seed and Perfect Pearls sunflower sparkle I sprayed the paper until it was flooded. With various flicks of the wrist and dabbing with paper towel roll, I reached a point of being satisfied, then added a very fine spritz of salty ocean - subtle!! 

I stamped 'Butterfly Formation' by Stamp-It with Archival Black, then just the large butterfly on vellum with Versamark. After embossing it with fine gold, I cut it out and coloured it. When dry, it was embossed on the back and attached with D-S tape and sponge knobs to keep the contours. I added some detail to the other butterflies with a gold pen, and a Krylon gold leaf border, then matted with metallic blue card.

Hope you enjoyed this little walk-through. Do let me know of you come by.
Ros.

6 comments:

EELS said...

Hello Ros,
I do love butterflies for a condolence card and pretty much always use them myself, they're dainty which befits the occasion I feel. This card is superb, so very well done. Congrats on it.
Elaine

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Beautiful sympanthy card, love the butterflies. Sparkling H20's are wonderful. Take care, Shirleyx

Liz B said...

Dear Ros,
I just wanted to let you know that I have nominated you and your beautiful blog for the Liebster Award! Visit my blog for the info:)
Liz

Sue said...

Your butterfly creation will certainly be appreciated. I am sure it will be apparent how much time and thought you put into it:)
It is lovely!!

Never had those twinkling waters, but I have heard about then quite a bit recently....must get some.
Suppose I could use my cosmic shimmer watercolours, they are possibly similar.

Have a great week....see you on Wednesday perhaps!

Greetings from a mild and sunny Oxford.
xxx
Sue

Elizabeth said...

Hi Ros, this card is so beautiful and, having read through the explanation of how you did, I think I'll be giving the techniques a go too. Also love your Valentine card in previous post - absolutely delightful.

Thanks for popping by - I didn't participate in WOYWW last week because of all the other calls on my time but plan to join in again this week.

Elizabeth xx

PS: I'm back in touch with my aunt who lives in Whyalla Norris - we are now enjoying corresponding with each other once more :)

Darnell J Knauss said...

WOWZA, Ros! This is so beautiful. It looks like a fine piece of jewelry. I am bookmarking this for trying out and adding it to my "to try" list. I absolutely love it!!