Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

20 February, 2013

WOYWW No. 194. Got my Badge!

Look what arrived in the post this week. Thank You Julia. I am now a proud WOYWW badge wearer at the Papercraft Expo in 10 days time.

Woo-hoo. Time to dance around the desk.

Otherwise, an idea that's been basking in the larder of my brain for a while is taking shape. It's another butterfly (see Butterfly post) but this time with a more scientific theme after I went to see an art exhibition of natural sciences illustration. Accordingly, here is a story in pictures this week.

The general works view including the cup of tea getting cooler and cooler.

The vellum butterfly is embossed at the back. Use the larger ball for this so that the paper is not perforated.

Notice how the colours are accentuated by the white bruised vellum and the contour has the wing standing off the page.

Here is the butterfly wing with tape behind the body and foam dots on the wing.

The final prototype. The real thing for cards will be on fine paper and matted somehow.... 
Maybe I'll add a tiny butterfly or two and a sentiment space. This has been fun to do - maybe there could be a different version with some masking. That larder in my head has lots of shelves in it today.

This desk snoop starts with Julia Dunnit over at the Stamping Ground. More than 150 people start there and anyone can join us so go and check out these marvy desks if it's new to you.

Miles of smiles to all my lovely followers, and visitors. Have a great week.
Ros.

24 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Hi there Ros! Sorry I didn't comment last week but I was away at my dads...
Love that butterfly! I've a soft spot for old illustrations. There is a gallery full of them in the Natural History museum in Oxford. I find them fascinating...in fact I prefer them to coloured pics!
Hope you are ok :)
LLJ 38 xxx

Eliza said...

Woo Hoo what day are you going to the show? love the little butterfly, great stamp too.

Happy WOYWW
Eliza

Ann B said...

Love what you are doing with the butterfly.
Happy WOYWW and thanks for visiting my desk.
Ann B
31

Helen said...

Well done on earning your badge (just like Blue Peter!) I have one of those mannequins too, just trying to decide what to do with him! Enjoy the show. Helen, 5

okienurse said...

awesome project! I am sure the larder in your head is chock a block full of good ideas! Thanks for sharing and have a great week! Vickie #28

Redanne said...

Hi Ros, love what you have done with the butterfly, it is stunning! Happy WOYWW, Anne x #37

Heather Alger said...

Ooh I love the delicacy of your design, Butterflies are one of my favourite things. It has a beautiful shimmer and must catch the light so well x Really Inspiring
Happy WOYWW Heather # 72

Linda said...

Those butterflies are looking beautiful - great work. I often drink cold tea, it's so easy to get engrossed in your crafting and forget to drink.

Lori said...

Congrats on the badge.

Love your butterfly project. Stunning.

Enjoy hopping around the world today nosing into people desks.
Lori #57

Ria Gall said...

I love what you have done with that butterfly it is really stunning and so vibrant thank you for sharing
Wishing you a very happy WOYWW
Ria #73

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Ros,

Love the butterfly stamp and what you've done with it! Thanks also for the little tutorial on the process!

Thanks for visiting me already!!

Happy WOYWW
Hugs, Kay #2

Laura said...

I love the dancing manikin - he's loving his new badge, huh?
Happy WOYWW,
have a super week,
Laura
146

Antonia said...

Beautiful butterflies, so inspirational
Happy woyww
Antonia#132

sandee said...

wow, loving the butterfly, I enjoy embossing vellum too, but haven't done it in ages, so glad you reminded me! Thanks so much for visiting my blog today, waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

Samantha Elliott said...

Loving the flutterby stamp there! And what you have done with it is fantastic!
Well done on your badge! Bet your little man is cold!!
xx

Krisha said...

I am a butterfly person and yours is turning out to be stunning>
Krisha #21

VonnyK said...

That butterfly is gorgeous, you are so clever.
Have a great week.
Von #62

Sue said...

Well done for achieving your badge. It looks great. The butterfly is lovely. I like it because it is that little bit different.
We don't see butterflies now, it's too cold and the days are short. So looking forward to watching them in the spring.
Have a great rest of week and weekend.
Xxxx
Sue

MaggieC said...

Your butterflies are so beautiful. I had not thought about H2O's on vellum, but they are really stunning. Have a really good week. xx Maggie #42

RosA said...

Hi Ros,
Must try H2Os on vellum, yours look great! Your desk always appears to be really organised but creative at the same time!
RosA @ 87

Bridget Larsen said...

Love those stamps and that butterfly.
Thanks for the condolence thought, just had more shit news of another friends husband diagnosed with cancer
Bridget #45

Neet said...

Such a pretty butterfly, rich colours on that vellum. Is the gold embossing or the H2o's? I love those paints.
Thanks for the info on the slimline pads etc - will investigate although I know I really should see someone and have a hip replacement. Just trying to hang on.

Thanks for visiting me earlier, you take care.

Hugs, Neet xx

Darnell J Knauss said...

Congrats on the button! You girls are going to have such fun at the show!!

I'm happy to see that you included more about your brilliant butterfly technique here, too, Ros. I just can't tear my eyes off it in that last picture.

Thanks for coming by the Playhouse earlier! Have a wonderful week! Darnell #48

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Great work Ros - sorry missed this week thanks for popping over to me! Shaz.xxx