Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

13 March, 2013

WOYWW No 197. Cupcakes and Gingham

Greetings all.

Oh  my goodness, how wonderful is the cool 25 degrees we had today. I think we've had nine days over 30 degrees just this month and this is supposed to be the temperate south.  I thoroughly enjoyed the comfortable temperature both inside and outside the house today, and working at the desk was such a pleasure.

I began a family birthday card today, determined to use one or two of last week's purchases. The main thing was the Darkroom Door background stamp called 'plaid' but it reminds me of gingham table cloths which were a bit kitch in the 60's!  I had in mind to combine it with a cup cake stand as a bit of vintage amusement. Tell me what you think. 

Centre stage is the panel matted on deep pink metallic card.
I think it's quite cute in a retro fashion. I stamped the cup cakes with Versamark and embossed with fine detail black.  I masked the cake plates - you can see the little masks on the right just above the stamp. The colouring is done with a clean brush lifting colour from the Distress Markers. I cut the panel with Spellbinders deckled edge die. The plain version is embossed on watercolour paper, and I will colour that with Twinks.

Of course this desk business is all about What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday, and since that's today, visit The Stamping Ground where it all starts each week.

Wishing those who are cold, some warmth, and those who are hot, some cool, not to mention some relief for those who are either too dry or too wet. We certainly have some extremes in the weather these days.

Miles of smiles,
Ros.

19 comments:

butlersabroad said...

That stamp does look like gingham Ros, and it's big too! Love the cupcakes, great idea and very retro. We had some Springlike days last week, got up to 15C, back to -3C today with snow flurries!

Hugs
Brenda 88

Annie said...

I'm chuckling at your comment about the different weathers around on WOYWW desks....the world is a smaller place with so many from around the world joining in the fun and isn't it lovely to see so many extremes of weathers too? :-)
Hugs,
A x # 44

Twiglet said...

What a pretty little cake-stand card. x Jo

Redanne said...

Hi Ros, you are certainly right about the extremes of temperatures, we have snow again today and it is below freezing again.......still, it is not raining! Love your plaid stamp, it reminds me of gingham too and I love the cake stands on the top, especially the pink one - lovely. Happy WOYWW, Anne x #23

jill said...

Agree with you about this crazy weather around the world. Happy woyww, jill #30

Liz Black said...

I'm very envious of your warmer temperatures at the moment, with the occasional (and very late!) snow flurries we keep getting here in the UK! What lovely sweet cards, they really are yummy! Thanks for sharing and Happy Woyww.
Liz 72

Regina Hamilton said...

You are going some really cute work. Glad to hear you are having some wonderful weather.

Ria Gall said...

I think you toppers are looking really sweet love the colours and the background stamp
Happy WOYWW
Ria

okienurse said...

really cute ATC! I love the retro look. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week. Vickie #1

Katie said...

Love the retro look! Too cute!

Happy WOYWW!

Katie 125

trisha too said...

You are so right--it IS cute, and a little retro, too!

Happy WOYWW!
:)trisha
#124 this week

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hullo there Ros, well this not your usual kind of thing kind of did a double take :D but lovely work and love colouring well done on matching it with gingham, just perfect!
Thanks so much for popping over and for sharing ~ happy WOYWW! Shaz in Oz. x #15

Amy Wright said...

Love that little cake stand, how cute!

Happy WOYWW

Amy #90

Eliza said...

It really does look like gingham, lovely creation. Thank goodness we have a few cooler days.

Eliza

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Oh, how we are desperate for a little warmth and Spring weather! It has been a long period of a dreadful summer last year followed by a very long winter. The signs are there but I'm longing for the cost free day!! May it come soon :) And there you are, rejoicing in the cooler temps......
I love your cupcake and gingham...now that is a great combination! It looks so great in the different colour ways as well, I think I like the lemon yellow best. I bet you use that combo for all different sorts of cards now.....
Thanks for visiting, hope you are ok :)
Hugs, LLJ 36 xxxx

Shoshi said...

Great vintage look, Ros. I remember those gingham tablecloths so well!

Thanks for your lovely comment - managing to pace myself OK - I had a really restful day yesterday but packed a couple more boxes before bed. Lots to do, but at this end at least, we've got time, but I want to keep on top of it. Off to Mum's again on Sunday for more work (cousin coming down) and then a brief visit on Mon. to be there when the auctioneer comes, and then again on Thurs. for another major do with my sis, although it's pretty well sorted now.

Shoshi

Joynana said...

Love the look of the 2 stamps together. Looking forward to seeing the cards finished. #70

April Story said...

I agree with you on the gingham. Those cards are going to be adorable.
April #108

Spyder said...

oops sorry I missed this one too! I really like these cards, they look nice, as if (bad word) they are bought ones, professional! really nice!

(Lyn)