Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

27 March, 2013

WOYWW No. 199 Bookmarks

Greetings all. Lovely to welcome by followers and friends to my little corner of the Wednesday desk hop which starts over at Julia's Stamping Ground. Everyone is welcome to join in with or without a post.

We're just past the autumn equinox and last night the moon was full and beautiful. I took a picture as it was rising through the dead branches of a gum tree which we leave there for bird perching. They love it. At three o'clock this morning I was up and wandering through the garden in the creamy silver light. Magic.


The owl and the pussycat danced by the light of the moon and who would wonder!
There was a mopoke owl but the pussycats were inside.
Then this morning, with the promise of another hot day, I decided to give the rhubarb patch a little help. The cooler days have helped it so much that I thought some unbrellas would be good to keep it shaded and cool. Whilst watering some of the treasures along the lower path, I cut some bracken to so the job for the rhubarb. It looks very quaint but works well.

The Rhubarb umbrellas!  You can see some of the leaves are burnt but the bracken does a nice shady job.
On the desk this week, I decided to experiment with making some bookmarks. I chose the Judikins boleo stamps which has four different Australian flora panels on it. Choosing the Callistemon, I stamped and white embossed it then blended the greens starting with the lightest colour.

I worked on A5 stampers card.
Using progressively darker colours, I created patterns around the white embossing then ironed the embossing powder away. Continuing the process, I added some more stamped patterns in a dark green for contrast.



I will now decide how I what sentiments will be added, perhaps punch decorative corners, and add a tassel. I think I'll also apply each one to a backing sheet for extra thickness and to hide the inky mess.

Enjoy your week and Easter celebrations
if that is in your calender.
Miles of Smiles,
Ros.

17 comments:

Annie said...

I'm having a whiz around a few desks while my twinnies have their morning nap :-)It may depend how long they go down for as to how many I get to see this morning. :-)
Wish I could share a little of your sunshine :-)
Have a great week.
Hugs,
Annie x #44

Lucy said...

Well now, I was admiring the moon last night, here in the UK. It was pouring through my bedroom window and I decided not to bother pulling the blind down for once so I could sleep in the moonlight. Our weather couldn't be any different at the moment, you enjoying hot days, most of the UK has been hit with a lot of snow, well it seems everyone except me! The bookmarks are a fantastic mix of colours, very beautiful! Happy Easter to you, and thanks for sharing! Lucy #37 x

Neet said...

Lovely delightful bookmarks, nice to see you using some Australian flowers as we don't know of them over here in the UK.
Should have said the "cold" UK - we don't need umbrellas for our rhubarb, straw jackets are more the thing we need. LOL
Thanks for visiting me - Happy Easter and Happy WOYWW - Hugs, Neet xx 1

Carole M. said...

Hi Ros..great idea with bracken...and love yr calistemon boomark in the making

Spyder said...

This looks really clever, I have some new cosmic sprays that I might use! Ugh, yes, in bed for five minutes and then up again, I was higher up, but I'm a slow reader
/typer! even in the comments I thought I was #1 but no! Thanks for your visit, at last I have a link to add your name! hope you got your followers freebie ok the other week, I had a lot of names and emails that didn't match, so not sure who is who and if they've all been sent out yet! Happy Easter weekend and happy WOYWW
(Lyn) #10

Heather Alger said...

Rhubarb is delicious, hope you can shade it well and your crop stays safe. I Love the colours and detail of your projects, they look wonderful x Happy Easter WOYWW heather #86

BJ said...

Super bookmarks, lovely shades of green and the stamp is perfect. BJ#67

Redanne said...

Hi Ros, what a lovely picture of the moon! Nice to know that somewhere in the world is not freezing cold with snow for Easter too. Your umbrellas are such a great idea for the rhubarb, love that! Those bolio stamps work so well, I have a Christmas one, love the size of them and your book marks look great. Happy WOYWW and enjoy your Easter weekend too. Hugs, Anne x #33

Eliza said...

Ros,

Isn't our weather just beautiful at the moment, yes nice and hot. Not so nice for some of the plants thats for sure, but we are in for a few days of rain and cooler weather.

Thanks for the advice regarding the plants I can't plant wattle or bottlebrush as I have serious allergies with them. i love other natives but they worry me too. I do however love my roses, but not decided yet, might visit some gardens and have a look see.

The stamp was made for me by a very dear friend, I dont know what she used but it is brilliant thats for sure.

Love your art this week excellent creation.

Happy Easter and WOYWW
Eliza #8

Monica said...

No moon last night just clouds that will never weep on us.
Love your desk and your art. it is so clever of you to have working cats and with distinctive jobs and titles....Tripper take note. He's just an aging Texan so laid back he sleeps though cardinal's attacks on the windows

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Gorgeous shot of the moon, how serene and beautiful. I'm not surprised you were up before the lark to enjoy it! It sort of follows on from that beautiful card you did last week!
Am loving the bracken brollies for the rhubarb...there's lateral thinking for you! You can hear the rhubarb heaving a huge sigh of relief in the shade :)
Hugs, LLJ 59 xxxx

Darnell J Knauss said...

Stunning bookmark work, Ros!! I love all those leafy green colors. Thank you for sharing your moonlight stroll photo and the clever shading for your rhubarb!!

And thanks for coming by at early o'clock (my time) to see me. Have a wonderful Easter holiday and week to come! Darnell #43

Ria Gall said...

your bookmarks are going to be beautiful when you have added the finishing touches you talked about. I do love those greens that you have used, lovely
Wishing you a very Happy Easter and a great day today
Ria

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hullo there dear friend in Oz - Ros,
A great creative space today! where to start - well first off all dancing buy the light of the moon the nights have been amazing dont think cats would go to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat either or owls for that matter :D
Love the bracken fern umbrellas too, ah rhubarb ... grew well when down there but dies here as it does not like wet feet and awe get them even in raised beds when it rains and rains...

LOVE those stamps must look for them up have to fly now - but great resist blend effect. Ah, inky mess what joys!

Thanks so much for for sharing ~ happy WOYWW!
May God bless you with a happy safe Easter as we remember His great gift to us, Shaz in Oz.x #14

Gill Edwards said...

Hi Ros

Nice to meet you and thanks for visting my blog. I have to admit that the name Stamping Lemons was one fo those 'that sounds quirky' ideas with no reason behind it but i quite like it now.
You have a lovely blog which i am adding to my blogroll.

Happy Easter
Gill x

MaggieC said...

I love that beautiful moonlight picture. We had a beautiful moon the other might, but the temperature was a little different to yours. As for shielding the rhubarb from the sun, ours is busy digging down to join yours in Oz. Thank you for your visit and interesting to read you 4x4 stories. Our local Land Rover Club has also been putting in a lot of time to help the community in the icy weather, ferrying district nurses to their patients, and helping others who cannot get around. Sadly our Easter break has already been cancelled as the ground is too wet and fragile to use. so it will be a crafting weekend, I feel, plus a trip out to the farm shops. Have a good Easter. xx Maggie #17

lisa said...

I've never seen Rhubarb umbrellas before Ros, that's a hoot. Unfortunately, in the the UK, that's not something we usually need to do. At the minute the poor rhubarb is poking out the snow!!!
I love your moon photo, how wonderful to be able to be outside at that time of night.
Thanks for sharing the bookmarks too and Happy Easter.
Hugs Lisax #60