Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

26 April, 2013

Anzac Day and Favourite Anzac Recipe.

On 25th April, ANZAC Day, we acknowledge with great respect the price paid for war, and the courage it takes to be part of these dreadful events. There is also a lot to reflect upon about the bonds of friendship that come from the most unlikely connections, such as between the Aussies and the Turks at Gallipoli.

This post is about The Anzac Biscuit. It's become popular yummy nibble for most occasions in many households since the Great War and it seems a good time to share the recipe with you. Originally they were hard biscuits that wouldn't spoil in transportation and were (reasonably) nutritious for the Diggers. I haven't made the home baked variety for ages but I did make many batches a few years ago and here is the perfected version (in my view - be it ere so 'umble).  ;-) 

I made two batches this morning and sent some off to the working bee at the local Estuary where the Friends are weeding like crazy to give the natural grasses some space and get rid of dumped rubbish. Sometimes I'm very ashamed of my fellow humans.  Anyway, here's how...

Anzac Biscuits.

Note: it's important to stick to quantities for the "perfect" biscuit. It's the balance of ingredients that I worked at getting just right. The cups and tablespoons are different from US measures. A cup here is 250ml and the Tablespoon is 20ml so you might make your own measures first.
 
Ingredients:
1 cup plain flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats. Make it a scant cup.
3/4 cup dessicated coconut, also a bit mean.
1/2 cup sugar
125g butter
2 T/spoons Golden Syrup.
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda.
1 T/spoon boiling water, be generous and let it spill a bit...
 
Method:
Combine oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut.
Place butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over a gentle heat and stir to combine as they melt.
Mix the soda and boiling water and quickly add to the butter mixture.
(Woohoo, I love how it froths - this is the best part, except for eating them).
Stir into the dry ingredients. It makes a sticky but loose mixture.
 

You can see that the mixture is not smooth like a batter.
 
Place pressed shapes onto an oiled or baking papered tray using a spoon to form the shapes - a soup spoon is a good size. Allow room for some spreading.
Cook in a slow oven for 20 mins. I bake them at 160C fan-forced. A conventional oven will be a bit higher.
Loosen while warm, then cool on wire trays. I get about 25 from this recipe but you could make them smaller if you wish.

The finished crunchy biscuits. Did you think there were 25? Ha, the cook has to test.

Well there's a little culinary caper which I hope you'll try and enjoy. Do let me know if you decide to pop some in the oven. I'll be over for a cuppa and watch the look on your face.
 
Happy days.
Ros.

 
 

2 comments:

Hettie said...

Mmmmn. I may just have to try these!
Why in this day and age, are everyone's measurements different?!!!
Hugs
xx

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I'm definitely going to try these, Ros!! They sound lush :). I love coconut, yum yum....
Hugs, LLJan xxxx