Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

22 May, 2013

WOYWW No. 207. By the sea.

Greetings all. Can't believe how close we are to the fourth anniversary of this loopy leaping between Wednesday desks. Are you miffed?  Of course!  It all starts every Wednesday when nearly two hundred folks connect with Julia Dunnit at the Stamping Ground. Join in - it's been happening for a week short of four years.

I do hope all my friends, visitors and followers don't feel neglected. Life has been very busy while the plans I have fall into the abyss. It's getting colder here and the floor heating is ON.  I'm thoroughly enjoying walking around bare-footed which I prefer, mostly indoors that is. Snug as a bug in a rug.

This week I've been playing with water-soluble inks, mostly Distress or Kaleidacolour applied to a foam sheet and picked up with stamps or directly onto the paper. I've used the technique to help 'salvage' some poor things in a lamentable pile that didn't make it to the finishing line.
Centre is the nautilus shell "By the Sea".
On my desk from left to right - my palette of water colour crayons for "By the Sea" and the mini misters one of which is China blue DI and gold Perfect Pearls to add some shine to this piece. Then there are dishes of pumpkin and chilli seeds waiting for little envelopes and my WOYWW manikin in a great hurry. There are more deodorant roll-on balls waiting for inky colour before joining the cats' playtime routine, and sundry tools in use.
 
Up close, and it's in need of something more...
Whilst I love these colours which are evocative of a mysterious under-water mood, I decided it needs more dimension.  I added some high-lights in white to give the components of the stamp their own lives, so-to-speak.
 
Some high-lights added with white gel pen to the nautilus, the sea star and the interstices of the net.
Using a yellow/gold metallic matt enlivens it too. Watch for the finished article.
 
I have an old corrugated cardboard box which will recycle nicely as a second matt.
 
Thank you to those who leave a comment - I love them, and do my best to return the compliment.
I wonder how people are faring in Oklahoma City today.  Are you okay Vickie?  There were devastating scenes of the tornado on tonight's news - hard to believe so much damage in so little time.  Wishing all those who are homeless and damaged very best wishes for this time of rebuilding your lives.
 
Bliss-ings all,
Ros.
 

21 comments:

Carole M. said...

Hi Ros; just checking in on you and your cozy little corner. Still stamping up a storm whatever the weather; lovely colours nautilus stamping by the sea

Judy McCarthy said...

Love the playing you have been doing with the inks, and stamping.love that nautilus.

Lunch Lady Jan said...

There is something undefinable about the wonderful feeling of being warm and snug inside while it's cold outside! Love it...as I do your card. Those sea blue greens are my favourite colour ever!!
Hugs, LLJ 40 xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's been so long since I've been around, it was good to see what you were making. That nautilus sea collage is gorgeous.

I was surprised that so many people from other parts of the world knew about the tornadoes. One hit very close to my home on Sunday, but luckily did limited damage, and took no lives. Unlike Moore, OK, we are not as adept at fending off tornadoes as those who live in Oklahoma.

Bridget Larsen said...

Its freezing up north from you, have the fireplace cranked up and cooking on it as well as drying clothes lol
Bridget #11

Roudi said...

Love love your piece! Favorite color combination!
The weather is great here in Egypt. Warm, sunny, you should visit me sometime! :)

Thanks for the peek! Happy WOYWW. xx
Roudi #34

Sandy said...

Your shell looks beautiful all my favourite colors, love the layers your doing with it.. I have been to visit Vickie and they missed the storm thank goodness it looked very scary from her video.
Sandy :) #38

Annie said...

I'm doing a quick blog dash before I get started this morning cos we have another estate agent coming today to take pics of our house so it needs a final hoover and tidy through :-)
I love the colours you're working with today.
Hugs,
A x #52

Helen said...

Love the stamping and colours! I nearly had to put the heating back on the last few days and it's meant to be summer here!! Happy WOYWW Helen 5

Redanne said...

Hi Ros, I have been missing a while too... your nautilus is gorgeous, especially with the white pen treatment and it looks wonderful on that blue mat you found. Happy WOYWW, Anne x #53

Ria Gall said...

Hi Ros
Love your piece of art and I love how the white pen work really makes it pop
Sending hugs and hoping you have a great day
Ria #74

susibee said...

Love the colours you have used on your card.

Happy WOYWW. Susi #58

The Taming of the Glue said...

The nautilus shell is gorgeous and I love the colours you've used.
Happy WOYWW. Pam#20

BJ said...

Gorgeous "By the Sea" piece. BJ#51 with spoon draw!

~Sue C said...

Very pretty project. I saw that you are in Victoria. I know another lady who lives there too. How neat! lol! Hope you are having a great Wednesday. SueC#129

VonnyK said...

I love this piece, the colours are gorgeous. The white really makes it perfect. You're lucky you have heating, we don't normally need it up here in Brissie but it's freezing right now. Think I need to get a heater this year.
Have a great week.
Von #66

Neet said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. I love the image but the colours you have used ares tremendous and the addition of the white highlights imp roes what I honestly thought could not be improved on. You should be proud of this.
Hugs, Neet xx 2

glitterandglue said...

Love the piece you are working on. Those colours are so evocative of summer and the seaside - we live by the one, and here in Britain, are not yet getting too much of the other!! freezing cold here today - the heating is on this evening.
Have a great week.
Margaret #153

sandee said...

OK, here's the thing, first I am apologizing for not having been around, but I have been uber busy and now I am going to have the audacity to ask you to do a favor for me ( shakes head, I'm shameless ) But I am in a contest and sad to say but it's the truth, it's a popularity vote, so here's the favor...would you be so kind to go over and vote for me? I sure would appreciate it from the bottom of my pitiful heart! lol (vote for the camera, please ) (http://www.genuinelyjanestudios.com/genuinelyblog/gjs-design-a-book-contest-top-three-finalists-announced/ waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥ #19

Cazzy said...

Happy WOYWW!

I love the image and it looks good on that box. I am intrigued about the deodorant balls and what you use them for!

Cazzy x #158

ANNETTE HUSBAND said...

G'Day Ros
waving to you from the hot and humid Humpty Doo in the NT. I'm running up the rear with getting around for WOYWW but here I am. I love that colour combination you have used. I long to live near the sea again. Yr warm floor sounds lovely...not that I would never need a warm floor here LOl
hugs
Annette In Oz #4