Creative ideas come "out of the wild" growing like yeast. Enjoy a meander around my creative pursuits - art printing with stamps, sketching, photography, baking, gardening...

30 January, 2014

WOYWW No. 243. Back again...

When you live at the beach, folks decide Summer is a good time to visit, which it is! So that's what has been on my agenda this month.  Much as I love the people who come and stay, or come just for the day, it sure is nice to lapse into pleasant routines like blogging and customary sloth!

This is a post about What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday which starts over at Julia Dunnit's Stamping Ground. Satisfy your curiosity and have a look around.

This is a short post today followed by a guest appearance tomorrow. Wait and see.

I've been playing the many videos (of considerable merit) at Creative JumpStart 2014, and here's what has taken my attention today - it's potato carving. I'm interested in this as I really want to carve my own stamps in rubber but this gives some practice on expendable material, the spuds!

I'm not so impressed with the print but the spud carving was okay for first try.
Not so long now before I tackle carving the rubber I think.
 
To all my lovely followers and friends, I do hope that 2014 is truly a Vintage Year for you.
 
Miles of smiles,
Ros.


9 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Ros. You've brought back so many happy memories with your potato printing today. I've had many fun times printing with potatoes with the children. Really love the effects you've got with yours.
Hugs,
Annie x # 38

Neesie said...

Yet another visitor coming for a warm Ros ;D
How are you? Busy as usual by the sound of it. Likewise over here in Bonnie Scotland with all of our renovations underway! It's a little crazy especially when you decide to change all of the windows on the week that snow is forecast! I know don't ask!?!?!
But I can feel the warmth radiating from your post, so thank you for sharing.
Enjoy your summer and I'm not in the least bit jealous (turning a light shade of green) hehe
xoxo

Zue said...

Hi Ros
Customary sloth is my favourite state....
Potato printing is wonderful fun....
Oohhhh, enjoy all your sunny visitors.
Smiles from a very damp and overcast Oxford.
Sue xxxx

rose of Walk in the Woods, LLC said...

Love how you're practicing your carving skills on the potato ~ you'll be ready to carve more permanent stamps before you know it!

glitterandglue said...

Oh, Ros. I haven't done potato printing since I was in the infant school - what fun!! Did you see the woyww the other week - and I apologise I can't remember whose blog it was - where the person used the bottom end of a stick of celery to make a rose print?
Have a great week.
Margaret #39

Patsy Paterno said...

Never tried a potato but I've done several rubber erasers. Great job for a first and I like the colors you chose! Patsy

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Now I know why I didn't leave a comment when I thought I had. I had opened your WOYWW post, then realized I had to get my photos off my camera for Friday Smiles. After that, I went to bed, not even thinking about what was already open on my computer.

I've made quite a few potato stampings. Like you, I use my trusty paring knife. People thought I was crazy when I used it, but it worked every time. BTW, I've also pressed small cookie cutters into the potato, then cut around the outside to remove the excess. I always let my carved potatoes sit for about 12 hours before I use them. The dryer they are, the better they take the paint.

Thanks again for visiting my WOYWW worktable earlier this week.

MaggieC said...

I spent all last summer with workmen replacing my roof and several other major jobs that needed doing, and it was quite nice when things settled down and I could choose what I did and when I did it. So I know what you mean about settling down into your usual sloth. Thank you for your visit and I agree about sticking to Epson. I have tried other makes over the years and keep coming back to Epson. Have a good week. xx Maggie #2

Julia Dunnit said...

Ah Ros, lovely to see you - and Im sure you've had a lovely time hosting friends; to be honest, if I could get to visit you, it would embarrasingly difficult to make me leave! Love your practice carving, how useful the humble spud!